• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting in MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jspoon

What is the name of your state?MA

I made the mistake of trying to take a portable mp3 player from a WalMart, without paying for it. It was my mom's birthday, and I just made a very stupid decision. I was detained, and told to expect a summons in the mail, for a court hearing. I have no criminal record, have never done anything like this before, and am completely ashamed of my actions. I was told by the officer that it was a misdemeanor, since the value of the merchandise was under $300.

I was wondering what to expect in terms of a penalty, for a first time offender, and if there's a chance to get this charge expunged. What is the harshest penalty I could expect? Is it recommended that I seek legal representation for my hearing? Essentially, I have made a terrible mistake, am very sorry, and want to resolve this situation in the most satisfactory way possible. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

club20019

I would consult a lawyer on this one. You might be able to ask the court for court supervision. Then it wouldnt follow you. Depends on the laws of your state.

S

seniorjudge

You might be able to ask the court for court supervision. Then it wouldnt follow you.

Please cite your legal authority for this astounding statement. Thank you.

jspoon said:
What is the name of your state?MA

I made the mistake of trying to take a portable mp3 player from a WalMart, without paying for it. It was my mom's birthday, and I just made a very stupid decision. I was detained, and told to expect a summons in the mail, for a court hearing. I have no criminal record, have never done anything like this before, and am completely ashamed of my actions. I was told by the officer that it was a misdemeanor, since the value of the merchandise was under $300.

I was wondering what to expect in terms of a penalty, for a first time offender, and if there's a chance to get this charge expunged. What is the harshest penalty I could expect? Is it recommended that I seek legal representation for my hearing? Essentially, I have made a terrible mistake, am very sorry, and want to resolve this situation in the most satisfactory way possible. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Geez....Moms get mp3 players and Dads get ties...go figure :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">