+ Reply to Thread
    tommy_nyc is offline Junior Member

Shoplifting At Macys

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

I got caught at macys shoplifting some clothes.. I'm only 16 years old.
    the security took me at that room , called the police and my parents. the police came and right after my parents were there. they made my father pay 5 times the amount (80$ X 5 ) of the money the items cost. then they arrested me , took me at the police station , kept me few hours, took a picture of me, also fingerprinted me, gave me a ticket and told me that i have to go to curt. and let me go.
    My question is : How can i get the money i payed to macys back? is there any way? my father payed and they didnt even give him the clothes. please let me know as soon as possible.. thank you !
    outonbail is offline Senior Member
    You can't get it back, it's gone......
    and the bad news is, you, or you're dad, are probably not done paying yet, as you still have to deal with the fines the court imposes on you.
    You won't be getting that money back after you pay it either....

Shoplifting can be a very expensive hobby these days.
    Hershon is offline Member

The Money Part Makes No Sense At All I'm Guessing Your Misunderstanding Something

First off, why would your father pay 5 times the amount for an item in the first place? It had nothing to do with being arrested or not. Secondly, if you paid for anything, your entitled to the item. I'm guessing you have some things confused as none of this makes any sense at all.

If you don't have any previous arrests, I doubt that you'll get anything but an admonishment
    and if you do, it will be be community service or something. Your father though will probably be out a few grand getting you a lawyer.
    Last edited by Hershon; 04-23-2008 at 10:37 PM.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hershon View Post
    First off, why would your father pay 5 times the amount for an item in the first place? It had nothing to do with being arrested or not. Secondly, if your paid for anything, your entitled to the item. I'm guessing you have some things confused as none of this makes any sense at all.

If you don't have any previous arrests, I doubt that you'll get anything but an admonishment
    and if you do, it will be be community service or something. Your father though will probably be out a few grand getting you a lawyer.
    That is a civil penalty that the store is allowed to collect. She is not entitled to the item.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    Hershon is offline Member
    How can they have a civil penalty and then arrest you? Exactly what would have happened if you didn't pay Macy's anything? The result would still be the same!
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    They can pursue the civil penalty whether or not there are criminal charges. The civil penalty compensates the store for the damages the shoplifter caused. The criminal proceeding protects society as a whole against those who would steal.
    tommy_nyc is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hershon View Post
    First off, why would your father pay 5 times the amount for an item in the first place? It had nothing to do with being arrested or not. Secondly, if you paid for anything, your entitled to the item. I'm guessing you have some things confused as none of this makes any sense at all.

you say that i might get community service or smth, right? why would i need a lawyer to go there?
    outonbail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_nyc View Post
    you say that i might get community service or smth, right? why would i need a lawyer to go there?
    If for no other reason, to instruct you how to address the court without looking like a smarta$$ little brat who has learned absolutely nothing from the arrest procedure because daddy bailed you out.