• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting At Macys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommy_nyc

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

I got caught at macys shoplifting some clothes.. I'm only 16 years old.
the security took me at that room , called the police and my parents. the police came and right after my parents were there. they made my father pay 5 times the amount (80$ X 5 ) of the money the items cost. then they arrested me , took me at the police station , kept me few hours, took a picture of me, also fingerprinted me, gave me a ticket and told me that i have to go to curt. and let me go.
My question is : How can i get the money i payed to macys back? is there any way? my father payed and they didnt even give him the clothes. please let me know as soon as possible.. thank you !

outonbail

You can't get it back, it's gone......
and the bad news is, you, or you're dad, are probably not done paying yet, as you still have to deal with the fines the court imposes on you.
You won't be getting that money back after you pay it either....

Shoplifting can be a very expensive hobby these days.

Hershon

The Money Part Makes No Sense At All I'm Guessing Your Misunderstanding Something

First off, why would your father pay 5 times the amount for an item in the first place? It had nothing to do with being arrested or not. Secondly, if you paid for anything, your entitled to the item. I'm guessing you have some things confused as none of this makes any sense at all.

If you don't have any previous arrests, I doubt that you'll get anything but an admonishment
and if you do, it will be be community service or something. Your father though will probably be out a few grand getting you a lawyer.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
First off, why would your father pay 5 times the amount for an item in the first place? It had nothing to do with being arrested or not. Secondly, if your paid for anything, your entitled to the item. I'm guessing you have some things confused as none of this makes any sense at all.

If you don't have any previous arrests, I doubt that you'll get anything but an admonishment
and if you do, it will be be community service or something. Your father though will probably be out a few grand getting you a lawyer.
That is a civil penalty that the store is allowed to collect. She is not entitled to the item.

Hershon

How can they have a civil penalty and then arrest you? Exactly what would have happened if you didn't pay Macy's anything? The result would still be the same!

FlyingRon

They can pursue the civil penalty whether or not there are criminal charges. The civil penalty compensates the store for the damages the shoplifter caused. The criminal proceeding protects society as a whole against those who would steal.

tommy_nyc

First off, why would your father pay 5 times the amount for an item in the first place? It had nothing to do with being arrested or not. Secondly, if you paid for anything, your entitled to the item. I'm guessing you have some things confused as none of this makes any sense at all.

you say that i might get community service or smth, right? why would i need a lawyer to go there?

outonbail

you say that i might get community service or smth, right? why would i need a lawyer to go there?
If for no other reason, to instruct you how to address the court without looking like a smarta$$ little brat who has learned absolutely nothing from the arrest procedure because daddy bailed you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">