• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

river19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am 23 and I was caught shoplifting this afternoon at Dillards in Ohio. The value of the items was less than $100. The police were not called, but my ID was reviewed and my information was taken down. What will happen next?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am 23 and I was caught shoplifting this afternoon at Dillards in Ohio. The value of the items was less than $100. The police were not called, but my ID was reviewed and my information was taken down. What will happen next?
Sorry - the crystal ball is out for calibration. Perhaps you can find an online version of the Magic 8-Ball?

I can guess that you can expect to see a civil demand from Dillards and I also guess that if you ever go in their store again, they will have you arrested for trespassing.

quincy

Here is a link to Ohio's shoplifting laws: http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/ohio-shoplifting-laws/

Shoplifting of items with a value of less than $100 would be a misdemeanor. In addition to a possible criminal charge, there is also the chance that Dillards will file a civil action against you, as Zigner mentioned.

If you are charged with a misdemeanor, you would be smart to consult with an attorney in your area. A misdemeanor on your record can result in all sorts of not-very-good-things, like having more difficulty finding a job, the inability to get financial aid for school, higher insurance and loan rates, travel restrictions ...

An attorney can work with the prosecutor to see you get the best outcome possible (possibly a diversion program, keeping your criminal record clean if you complete the requirements of the program).

Beyond possibilities, there is no way any of us can tell you for sure what will happen next.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">