• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting - Petty Theft - Internal Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BADgirl

I am in [southern] California, am an adult, but not very adult of me to commit the crime that have committed.

(1) I have confessed to shoplifting from the company that I work for after being confronted by corporate/management.

(2) I have signed an agreement to pay restitution.

(3) I have been placed on suspension from the company while the investigation continues at the corporate level.

(4) I have been asked not to return to the premises of the company I work for including my place of employment and any of it's affiliated establishments during the investigation.

(5) I have not been made any promises to be able to return to my job, nor have I been threatened in any way.

I have confessed to shoplifting. This is my first offense. No criminal record. I have not been formally charged for the misdemeanor [crime]. Can anyone tell me what I have coming to me? I am so completely stressed out. I admitted to what I had done. I have apologized to those whom are now involved including those at the corporate and management level. Is there hope for me? Don't be fooled by my name, but I have done something bad and I am a girl, hence BADgirl. Please advise. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

FlyingRon

I assume you worked in a store since you called in shoplifting?

The least that you're going to get (and I suspect that this is most likely) is fired and a demand to pay them civil restitution which is probably substantially higher than what you stole. The loss prevention folks are probably going to burn you for future retail jobs in the area and at other stores in the management group (believe me, the latter happens even if you are only suspected of stealing).

The worst that can happen is that they forward the claim to the police and you will be arrested for petty theft / embezzlement.

BADgirl

Some clarification, please and thank you!

I assume you worked in a store since you called it shoplifting?
Yes, I do work in retail. Ahem, lemme rephrase that... I worked in retail.

The least that you're going to get (and I suspect that this is most likely) is fired and a demand to pay them civil restitution which is probably substantially higher than what you stole.
I'm already expecting to lose my job. Civil restitution... now is that completely different than the "restitution" that I have already agreed to pay [in writing]?

The loss prevention folks are probably going to burn you for future retail jobs in the area and at other stores in the management group (believe me, the latter happens even if you are only suspected of stealing).
The possibility of not working in retail again, is not a problem for me. Retail is not my primary job.

The worst that can happen is that they forward the claim to the police and you will be arrested for petty theft/embezzlement.
In terms of the possibility of being arrested, could this be type of thing where the police come banging down my door at home :eek: or coming for me at my other job? I'm already embarrassed :eek: as it is and I do realize this is due to my own fault and wrong-doing. I'm not asking or expecting special treatment under any circumstance. I don't have speeding tix or moving violations. I don't throw cigarette butts out my car window. I'm just saying I made a really bad choice, knowing there would be penalties to pay in the end which scares me because I've never been in trouble with the law or in trouble in general. Also, if arrested, could I be looking at actual jail time??? OMG, I'm freaking out.. really, thanks for the 411.

Last edited:

Bretagne

Civil restitution... now is that completely different than the "restitution" that I have already agreed to pay [in writing]?
No, that's the same restitution; the amount of the item(s) you stole plus a civil penalty of probably $500. Did you steal one thing or many? What was the total retail value of everything you stole?

In terms of the possiblitly of being arrested, could this be type of thing where the police come banging down my door at home :eek: or coming for me at my other job?
You probably won't be arrested, unless you get charged with embezzlement. That depends on the value of what you stole. You'll get served with a summons and complaint

Last edited:

BADgirl

The FREE advice here is GREAT!!!

No, that's the same restitution; the amount of the item(s) you stole plus a civil penalty of probably $500. Did you steal one thing or many? What was the total retail value of everything you stole?
I shoplifted more than one item. The retail value of what I had shoplifted was estimated about $150 USD.

You probably won't be arrested, unless you get charged with embezzlement. That depends on the value of what you stole.
What would be the minimum dollar amount to be considered to be charged with embezzlement?

You'll get served with a summons and complaint.
Now sorry I ask a million questions, I just like to be informed... in regards to being served with a summons and complaint, is that done IN PERSON, OVER THE PHONE, IN THE MAIL? And do you mean I'd be served only if pressed with charges??? When it comes to the legal system, I really have no clue, so I do thank you ;) all for the 411.

Last edited:

Bretagne

Yep, a summons is the document which tells you to come to court and the charging document is the complaint; that's when the state presses criminal charges.

If you're only talking $150, your employer might not make a report to the police, then you won't get charged.

Pay back the value of the stolen items + their civil restitution ASAP to prevent the filing of a police report.

Doesn't sound like a charge of embezzlement would be appropriate here

Even if you do get charged with theft, I woud guess they would charge you with misdemeanor petty theft. Maximum sentence is up to six months in the county jail and by a fine of up to $1,000, but that's the MAXIMUM sentence so don't get freaked out. Probably no jail time, because you admitted responsibility and showed remorse. This is all assuming that you even get charged.

BADgirl

Not so FREAKED OUT...

So I made arrangements today to meet my boss(es) outside of the establishment to pick up my paycheck since payday is today. Also hoping I would have a chance to talk to them about the whole situation.

OFF THE RECORD, my boss told me it wouldn't come down to being legally prosecuted, that my "honesty" about my wrong-doing helps the situation, but he wanted to know why I did it.

Of course I told him the truth, that is, if it's even possible for someone like me to tell the truth after this sort of deception, in someone else's eyes. He informed me, I would most likely be offered to come back, which in the end would be my choice. As of yet, I have not been terminated pending corporate's "investigation." He tells me there's nothing to investigate since I confessed. He also told me he was the one who outed me.

So there was a lot of "I'm sorry(s)" and feelings of being hurt, especially on the end of management. Retail is not my main profession or profession of choice, so although my boss informed me that if I want a letter of recommendation, he would gladly write one for me, I don't think I'm FIT to be in the business. Plus with the stigma of being a thief, I wouldn't want to surround myself the rumor mill that comes with working in a store where everyone likes to think they know your business.

SORRY FOR THE REALLY LONG EXPLANATION, BUT I TEND TO DO THAT, YOU KNOW, EXPLAI N MYSELF. SO FOR NOW, IT'S A WAITING GAME TO SEE WHAT CORPORATE'S DECISION IS. BUT YES, I AM A BIT MORE AT EASE, NOT SO FREAKED OUT, OVER THE AUTHORITIES COMING TO GET ME OR BANGING ON MY DOOR AT MY RESIDENCE.

I TRULY DO APPRECIATE Y'ALL DROPPING THE 411 ON ME. S'ALL :cool: GOOD, IN A WAY. IN ANOTHER WAY, IT REALLY ISN'T. BUT FOR PEACE OF MIND, I FEEL A LOT LESS STRESS OVER THE SITUATION.

You are very lucky if they are not pressing charges. Internal theft is big with retailers and Loss Prevention gets big kudos when they catch an internal.

BADgirl

I have not been saved...

Hey panther10758, I have not been pressed charges as of yet. It's still a possibility and one that I will own up to. In terms of LP, the situation is being dealt by management. I wasn't caught by LP. I was turned in by management. LP in this company is through an outside vendor. I am not trying to make the situation sound better from any side, in any case. Still PPL, what I did was wrong and I have expressed my remorse, embarrassment, "D" for ALL OF THE ABOVE to management/corporate, still am, and forever will. There is not much more I can do besides wait to see what the verdict is. Once again, puh-leeze excuse me for typing at length.

BADgirl

I hear you...

... loud and clear. So yup, I will be dead [literally] if there is LP involvement. If not, then I don't know how else to say, but I sure as hell am lucky. I don't even want to say lucky because that makes it seem like I'm trying to score points for me which I am not. I'm human. I'm not perfect. If I was, then... uh, lemme not go there :p but you get my point though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">