• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting, pleaded not guilty.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hekx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Wyoming

I pleaded not guilty to the shoplifting charge against me. I was under the impression that there was a possibility of jail time, and because of that could be appointed an attorney. The judge said there is no possibility of jail time so I could not be given an attorney.

I now have a bench trial set for august. I have short-term memory problems due to the concussion I received two years ago that resulted in a life-flight. These memory problems are especially active when I am under heavy loads of stress. I was in the grocery store and needed to break change so I could fill up my cars tires with air. My eyes ached from the night before, that I spent teared up with my brother until the early hours of the morning as he brought me the news that my mom had attempted suicide. I live 450 miles away from home and was in a hurry to make it home to spend time with the family. I grabbed some eyedrops and some altoids and went up to the counter. Only ending up paying for the altoids. As I was on my way out i was walking very slowly looking at my receipt feeling like I was missing something.

Before I had a chance to figure out what could possibly be wrong, there was an arm around from the LP officer, who then directed my outside of the building and brought me back inside through another door. I cooperated and figured out that i had not paid for the eyedrops. They were in my hand, but he claimed he witnessed me put them in my pockets, I really dont remember, i was holding onto them as if they were my phone.

Will this case hold up at all. I must be proven guilty without any reasonable doubt, and I honestly did not intend to steal them. I had so much on my mind that concentrating on what was going down was difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">