• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting questions (IL)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Learningtolive

Illinois

Yesterday I was caught shoplifting at a target store. First time ever, no criminal history whatsoever. Personal issues (pending divorce, financial problems, job insecurities) led me to think I would get a natural high from this so I did it. (not making excuses, stating facts) I know everyone says it was their first time but this really was, which is probably why I got caught.

I was taken to a back room, surrendered what I had taken without any difficulty and was cooperative. The merchandise totaled $48. I signed a paper stating that the items listed were what I took, they took my picture and stated I was caught on camera. They did not contact the police and gave me a no-trespass order for that location.

Then they walked me out of the store after stating I would receive a bill for everything plus a fine for their time. I understand this is common and understandably so. But I also read online by ;awyers somewhere not to pay this fine.

I was told charges weren't going to be filed against me by the LP workers. Police were not called. I just fear the police will show up at door over this.

sandyclaus

Illinois

Yesterday I was caught shoplifting at a target store. First time ever, no criminal history whatsoever. Personal issues (pending divorce, financial problems, job insecurities) led me to think I would get a natural high from this so I did it. (not making excuses, stating facts) I know everyone says it was their first time but this really was, which is probably why I got caught.

I was taken to a back room, surrendered what I had taken without any difficulty and was cooperative. The merchandise totaled $48. I signed a paper stating that the items listed were what I took, they took my picture and stated I was caught on camera. They did not contact the police and gave me a no-trespass order for that location.

Then they walked me out of the store after stating I would receive a bill for everything plus a fine for their time. I understand this is common and understandably so. But I also read online by ;awyers somewhere not to pay this fine.

I was told charges weren't going to be filed against me by the LP workers. Police were not called. I just fear the police will show up at door over this.
It's up to the store management whether or not they want to file a police report against you and seek prosecution. If they do, they do - and there really isn't anything you can do to prevent it. Worrying about it won't do you any good.

As to the civil demand (the "fine" you refer to), I'm sure that there are lawyers who advocate not paying. However, that assumes that the stores won't pursue a civil case against you for not paying. State law supports the civil demand, and the stores ARE allowed to file suit against you for failing to pay, just like any other debt collection. If they do that, not only with the civil demand NOT go away, but it will end up as a judgment on your credit report (which it isn't now) which can affect your ability to obtain credit approval in the future, and will remain there for as long as the statute allows (whether or not you pay). With a judgment, they can also renew it as the statute of limitations approaches, extending their time to collect, and accruing statutory interest on top of what you're already being charged (9% per annum).

The decision is yours. Pay now or pay MORE later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">