• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting st Wal-Mart. no cops involved. worried

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittykat0953

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
hi. I feel terrible haven't ate in two days. this is killing me and I know it's my fault because I made the decision.

I got caught at Wal-Mart shoplifting two items. which I opened. a guy with some type of badge and lady waited for me outside the store. they asked if I knew why I was being stopped. I denied it but he asked again. then I said yes. they took me to a room in the back of the store. he just asked to take the things I had taken out of my purse. he tonight I had stolen a mascara also but I put it back. anyway I only had two items ( makeup) worth less than 20 $. he then asked for my I.d and made a copy of it. he said if get a fine on the mail and if I couldn't afford it I should call a number on a paper he gave me. he didn't make me sign anything and he didn't call the cops. I said was that it and he said yes. he asked if this was my first time and it was. I think they already had been watching me and probably on video. he didn't tell me anything about not being able to shop there or anything but I'll probably not goo back. I'm a college student and worried. had anyone been through this our knows

Will I get charged with criminal charges our just the fine.
I

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
hi. I feel terrible haven't ate in two days. this is killing me and I know it's my fault because I made the decision.

I got caught at Wal-Mart shoplifting two items. which I opened. a guy with some type of badge and lady waited for me outside the store. they asked if I knew why I was being stopped. I denied it but he asked again. then I said yes. they took me to a room in the back of the store. he just asked to take the things I had taken out of my purse. he tonight I had stolen a mascara also but I put it back. anyway I only had two items ( makeup) worth less than 20 $. he then asked for my I.d and made a copy of it. he said if get a fine on the mail and if I couldn't afford it I should call a number on a paper he gave me. he didn't make me sign anything and he didn't call the cops. I said was that it and he said yes. he asked if this was my first time and it was. I think they already had been watching me and probably on video. he didn't tell me anything about not being able to shop there or anything but I'll probably not goo back. I'm a college student and worried. had anyone been through this our knows

Will I get charged with criminal charges our just the fine.
I
That's really up to the store. The loss prevention people can simply file a complaint with police at any time within the next several months or so if they choose to - and there isn't much you can really do about it.

Expect to NEVER be able to set foot in that Wal Mart store ever again, and expect the civil demand in the mail (usually $200-250, just so you know).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">