• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting at Target in KS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksag85

What is the name of your state? kansas

Yes, i did do a search and i feel incredibly stupid for doing such an act. This is my first time offense and am curious as to what is most likely going to happen. heres my case

Got caught trying to shoplift a box set of dvd's valued at 32.00. They stopped me at the door and directed me their security camera room and asked me for all this information then called the police. the police came in and read my rights to me and said i was under arrest for shoplifting. Althought he ddidn't handcuff me and take me to jail since i was a kansas resident. He have me a sheet of paper which i signed that had my court date on it and that was it. I know the worst is yet to come, but i would like to be prepared. I don't think i got it as easy as other people who just paid a fine and won't be criminally charged. What am i looking at here?Again this is my first time offense and i am 19 years old and yes i feel stupid and i know i have to face my consequences Any help or advice would be so much appreciated. Im trying to keep this away from my parents also if possible. thanks.oh yeah, and they asked me how much cash i had on me and if i had a credit card on me. i did however buy some toothepaste because i needed some more. i had the cash for that.

Happy Trails

ksag85 said:
What is the name of your state? kansas

Yes, i did do a search and i feel incredibly stupid for doing such an act. This is my first time offense and am curious as to what is most likely going to happen. heres my case

Got caught trying to shoplift a box set of dvd's valued at 32.00. They stopped me at the door and directed me their security camera room and asked me for all this information then called the police. the police came in and read my rights to me and said i was under arrest for shoplifting. Althought he ddidn't handcuff me and take me to jail since i was a kansas resident. He have me a sheet of paper which i signed that had my court date on it and that was it. I know the worst is yet to come, but i would like to be prepared. I don't think i got it as easy as other people who just paid a fine and won't be criminally charged. What am i looking at here?Again this is my first time offense and i am 19 years old and yes i feel stupid and i know i have to face my consequences Any help or advice would be so much appreciated. Im trying to keep this away from my parents also if possible. thanks.oh yeah, and they asked me how much cash i had on me and if i had a credit card on me. i did however buy some toothepaste because i needed some more. i had the cash for that.
Article 37.--CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY
21-3701. Theft. (a) Theft is any of the following acts done with intent to deprive the owner permanently of the possession, use or benefit of the owner's property:
(1) Obtaining or exerting unauthorized control over property;
(2) obtaining by deception control over property;
(3) obtaining by threat control over property; or
(4) obtaining control over stolen property knowing the property to have been stolen by another. .................
(5) Theft of property of the value of less than $1,000 is a class A nonperson misdemeanor.

21-4502. Classification of misdemeanors and terms of confinement; possible disposition
(c) Class C, the sentence for which shall be a definite term of confinement in the county jail which shall be fixed by the court and shall not exceed one month.
(d) Unclassified misdemeanors, which shall include all crimes declared to be misdemeanors without specification as to class, the sentence for which shall be in accordance with the sentence specified in the statute that defines the crime; if no penalty is provided in such law, the sentence shall be the same penalty as provided herein for a class C misdemeanor

21-4503a. Fines, crimes committed on or after July 1, 1993. (a) A person who has been convicted of a felony may, in addition to the sentence authorized by law, be ordered to pay a fine which shall be fixed by the court as follows:
3) For a class C misdemeanor, a sum not exceeding $500.
(4) For an unclassified misdemeanor, any sum authorized by the statute that defines the crime. If no penalty is provided in such law, the fine shall not exceed the fine provided herein for a class C misdemeanor.

To sum it up you are looking at a possible jail term up to 30 days or a fine of up to $500 or both.

As far as contacting the store to apologize, that won't do anything for the criminal charges that are being brought against you. You will probably be getting a civil fine from them as well, this will include costs they incurred and the lawyer fees to draw up the letter to have you civilly fined.

ksag85

thanks so much for that info. kinda scares me about what might happen..if there is any advice on anything, i would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know. Is there certain things i should say or not say and what should i do to get the lowest punishment possible. Will talking to my prosecutor take care or help any?Reason i ask is becuase it sure helped on a speeding ticket. Thanks again. i also was hoping maybe that if is write a hand written apology letter to the store that they might note that somewhere. I dont' know though. any help?thanks again.

Happy Trails

ksag85 said:
thanks so much for that info. kinda scares me about what might happen..if there is any advice on anything, i would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know. Is there certain things i should say or not say and what should i do to get the lowest punishment possible. Will talking to my prosecutor take care or help any?Reason i ask is becuase it sure helped on a speeding ticket. Thanks again. i also was hoping maybe that if is write a hand written apology letter to the store that they might note that somewhere. I dont' know though. any help?thanks again.
If you can't afford a lawyer one will be appointed for you. That lawyer possibly can help cut a deal for you.

I'll give you some good advice that a former member used to post.

Quote from Seniorjudge:
Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

tennis227mike

Shop lifting records go away after 7 years?

Does shoplifting criminal records suppose to go away after 7 years? If so, why do credit agencies still have those records as listed?

Or does these shoplifting records sealed and permanent for the rest of ones lifetime?

I think as a first time offender, the Courts should not be too harsh on these shoplifters.

If they have done it again, maybe do take them more seriously and keep their records longer and also sentence them longer unless they are mentally ill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">