• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shot a duck, giving statement tomorrow, help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matt0199

Texas

ok me and a friend were outside shooting birds, and videotaping it.

i shot a duck. little did i know that this was a federal offense.

i put the video on the internet, because i always make videos and show my friends on the internet. well someone got a hold of it and turned it into the police, who came to my house tonight, and told me that the game wardenis going to proceed with the full extent of the law (jail time/fines).

on the film, i never actually shoot the gun. or if i did you cant prove it. secondly there is film of the dead duck, but there is no proof that i fired the bullet that killed it. i dont admit it or anything. there simply is no proof that i killed that duck. however, it is kinda obvious because i stand by it afterwards with a gun in my hand. but its not like you see a shot of me, holding the gun, and the duck dying all in the same shot. its just a shot of the duck, and you dont know who shot or where/who the shot came from.

my question is... do i simply keep denying it? saying that i didnt do it? or should i try and play it cool and tell the truth that i didnt know?

please help, i have less than 16 hours!

thank you for everything you can do!

J

jh112

ok me and a friend were outside shooting birds, and videotaping it.
because i always make videos and show my friends on the internet.
my first thought is that you either need to find a job ... or school needs to start REAL soon! many other things come to mind having to do with "newsmakers" in the past, and what "activities" put them there, but I am going to stick with believing you are young and need GUIDANCE! Jeez!!!

there is no proof that i fired the bullet that killed it.
No, maybe not on tape, but you do admit it :
i shot a duck. little did i know that this was a federal offense.

should i try and play it cool and tell the truth that i didnt know?
YES!! And look for new hobbies before people start equating you with the likes of Dahmer!

B

BB_Wolfe

Where do you live that shooting a duck is a federal crime.

You may have shot out of season, thats nothing to lose sleep over at ALL.

You may have used lead, not steel shot, that could get cause a headache.

I don't think you have anything to worry about since you didn't say you were arrested.

HomeGuru

What the duck were you thinking man?
Now you're in a lot of ducking trouble.
Those Texas game wardens are mean mother duckers.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

"If it used to walk like a duck, and used to quack like a duck, then you shot the duck."

Circumstantial evidence will get you just as much jail time as "direct evidence".

In the eyes of the law, you're a dead duck.

IAAL

B

BB_Wolfe

Unless you can find some QUACK to say your insane, you're going to ruffle the feathers of the game warden.

matt0199

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

"If it used to walk like a duck, and used to quack like a duck, then you shot the duck."

Circumstantial evidence will get you just as much jail time as "direct evidence".

In the eyes of the law, you're a dead duck.

IAAL
well first wouldnt they have to find the duck? which they wont

wouldnt they have to know when i took the film? i mean, i could have gotten it last hunting season

lastly, wouldnt i have to admit it? i mean they just assume that i shot it. anyone honestly could have shot that duck. there is nothing that directly links me to shooting that duck. however, prior and after that point in the video i do have a gun in my hand. but i mean, for all anyone knows i let a homeless guy shoot that duck... see what im saying?

D

DogToenails

You did admit to killing the bird. See your original message. The content of these boards can and will be used against you in a court of law. YOU FOWL LITTLE TWERP!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">