• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I file a police report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I have Guardianship of my nearly 2yr old granddaughter. We both have protective orders against the natural father YET he has legal visitation twice a week with her.
Last year he stole from my home plus violated my daughters (child's mom) protective order so the father has 4 years deferred sentencing hanging over his head.

Last week he took out the baby's earrings that I paid for when she was only 3 months old. He claims he cannot find them and her ear-holes have now closed up. On the past visit, I gave him a list of items that he still has from my daughters and his breakup 10 months ago..many of the items belong to the baby and my guardianship papers claim that I am to have all rights over her estate. These are items that I paid for and have asked back in the past. I gave the father 5 days to comply. If he does not, can I press theft charges for the stolen earrings? I know it may sound petty, but there has been ongoing harrassment and theft that we cannot prove (witnesses and such). This family (fathers family) is bad news..many drug charges and violence in the past and present. The father lives with his mother/stepfather/brothers so the baby is exposed to this twice a week. I would like to see him in jail

Your thoughts please?

Thank You

Lisa B

CdwJava

This sounds like a civil matter and not something the police will get involved in.

The issue of the earrings will be problematic as unless he confesses to "stealing" them, it is not a crime. Losing something is not a criminal offense.

If its worth the money, get an attorney and sue him ... or take him to small claims court. The police won't be your collection agency.

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

Copperarab said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I have Guardianship of my nearly 2yr old granddaughter. We both have protective orders against the natural father YET he has legal visitation twice a week with her.
Last year he stole from my home plus violated my daughters (child's mom) protective order so the father has 4 years deferred sentencing hanging over his head.

Last week he took out the baby's earrings that I paid for when she was only 3 months old. He claims he cannot find them and her ear-holes have now closed up. On the past visit, I gave him a list of items that he still has from my daughters and his breakup 10 months ago..many of the items belong to the baby and my guardianship papers claim that I am to have all rights over her estate. These are items that I paid for and have asked back in the past. I gave the father 5 days to comply. If he does not, can I press theft charges for the stolen earrings? I know it may sound petty, but there has been ongoing harrassment and theft that we cannot prove (witnesses and such). This family (fathers family) is bad news..many drug charges and violence in the past and present. The father lives with his mother/stepfather/brothers so the baby is exposed to this twice a week. I would like to see him in jail

Your thoughts please?

Thank You

Lisa B

How much were these earrings worth? Why are you putting them on a baby anyway? Sounds like child abuse to me....she could choke on them if she took them off herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">