• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I file Police Report for fraud CC Charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illyill

NJ

About 6 years I was dating someone and setup an account on FreeCreditReport.com with them. I purchased a credit report for them (they were buying a car at the time). Apparently, the account retained my debit card information. We broke up about 5 years ago at this point.

Today, I found a fraudulent charge on my bank statement for freecreditreport.com and called them. They explained that the account still had my debit info associated with it and my ex made the charge to order a new credit report. They cancelled the account and refunded the money for me.

Should I still file a police report against my ex? I haven't spoken to her in years and she was never an authorized user on my credit card. The money was refunded, so I don't need to be awarded damages. Thinking of more to protect myself.

Thanks

justalayman

it was a minimal amount. You were refunded the money.

not trying to diminish the issue but the police have more serious issues to deal with. At best they would accept a report but in itself, a report really doesn't mean much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
NJ

About 6 years I was dating someone and setup an account on FreeCreditReport.com with them. I purchased a credit report for them (they were buying a car at the time). Apparently, the account retained my debit card information. We broke up about 5 years ago at this point.

Today, I found a fraudulent charge on my bank statement for freecreditreport.com and called them. They explained that the account still had my debit info associated with it and my ex made the charge to order a new credit report. They cancelled the account and refunded the money for me.

Should I still file a police report against my ex? I haven't spoken to her in years and she was never an authorized user on my credit card. The money was refunded, so I don't need to be awarded damages. Thinking of more to protect myself.

Thanks
At the time the account was set up, you authorized her to make the charge to pay for the report. You can't order someone else's report on that site, which means that you authorized her use of the card. Sure, you can make a police report, and I would suggest that you do, but I wouldn't expect much to come of it.

Zigner

it was a minimal amount. You were refunded the money.

not trying to diminish the issue but the police have more serious issues to deal with. At best they would accept a report but in itself, a report really doesn't mean much.
The only reason I would recommend the report (and did) is just on the way outside chance that this is the tip of the iceberg. Better to have a paper trail than not.

justalayman

The only reason I would recommend the report (and did) is just on the way outside chance that this is the tip of the iceberg. Better to have a paper trail than not.
You and I both know the police are not going to investigate this, even if they accept a report. A police report that has not been investigated is nothing more than a complainants statement. The paper trail is what the OP has from their bank, credit card company, and the credit reporting place.

Zigner

You and I both know the police are not going to investigate this, even if they accept a report. A police report that has not been investigated is nothing more than a complainants statement. The paper trail is what the OP has from their bank, credit card company, and the credit reporting place.
If this leads to something bigger (fraud/ID theft) then every piece of paper on that trail helps. Sure, there won't be an investigation by the police, but the report can't hurt.

illyill

Thanks for the quick responses. Yea - I wasn't expecting some CSI level investigation or a criminal charge. Was more looking for protection in case she does something similar again in the future and I have proof. She did rent a bunch of videos from Blockbuster before they went bankrupt and never returned them, which I ended up paying because we were both associated on the member card so not beyond the realm of happening again.

So it sounds like, as long as I don't have any expectation of something coming out of it, I should file the report just to have a paper trail.

justalayman

so call them and see if they will even take a report. I'll put a vapr buck on it they won't.

she does something similar again in the future and I have proof. She did rent a bunch of videos from Blockbuster before they went bankrupt and never returned them, which I ended up paying because we were both associated on the member card so not beyond the realm of happening again.
that is a totally different situation and you were rightfully charged for the debt. You may have had an action against her but Blockbuster had the right to seek payment from any guarantor of the account.

Zigner

so call them and see if they will even take a report. I'll put a vapr buck on it they won't.
They will take the report, issue a report number and the file the report. It's pretty standard. In fact, a police report is often required before a credit card company will issue a refund based on a report of unauthorized use. In this case, it was the web site that issued the refund, so that wasn't required.

justalayman

illyill,

while your question has been answered, would you be kind enough to come back and tell me what the cops say when you call them. I have seen people that have actually lost money that the police would refuse to take a report (credit card losses not exactly the same but somewhat similar). I would love to know how they respond to this situation.

dave33

Thanks for the quick responses. Yea - I wasn't expecting some CSI level investigation or a criminal charge. Was more looking for protection in case she does something similar again in the future and I have proof. She did rent a bunch of videos from Blockbuster before they went bankrupt and never returned them, which I ended up paying because we were both associated on the member card so not beyond the realm of happening again.

So it sounds like, as long as I don't have any expectation of something coming out of it, I should file the report just to have a paper trail.
Call the credit card company and request a new card with a new #. Problem solved. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">