• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I have a witness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bordertaz

Texas.... There is a LT. from a small town south of me that wants to question me about an allegation make about me that I supposedly told someone that I was a Public Official... The LT. said that he does not want a 3rd party in the room unless it is a lawyer... does that sound right. I know someone who is an Investigator for the County and would like him to sit in on the questioning... The LT. said that he doesn't want someone else watching to see if he is doing his job right... sounds fishy to me... any advice would be greatly appreciated...

G

GKris

If it is a formal interrogation, you only have the right to an attorney present unless you are a minor. If the Lt does not want anyone else in the room, its his game and his rules. I would ask if you could tape record it and put your recorder right on the table. Make sure its battery operated.

B

Boxcarbill

Bordertaz said:
Texas.... There is a LT. from a small town south of me that wants to question me about an allegation make about me that I supposedly told someone that I was a Public Official... The LT. said that he does not want a 3rd party in the room unless it is a lawyer... does that sound right. I know someone who is an Investigator for the County and would like him to sit in on the questioning... The LT. said that he doesn't want someone else watching to see if he is doing his job right... sounds fishy to me... any advice would be greatly appreciated...
First of all just because a police officer wants to talk to you doesn't mean that you have to talk with him. That is entirely your choice. If, as and when the police officer gets sufficient evidence to make an arrest then he can arrest but you still do not have to talk with him. Again that is entirely your choice. There is absolutely no way in hell that I would agree to talk with a police officer without having an attorney present. The b.s. about only guilty need an attorney is patently false but it certainly gives the the police the advantage if they can get people to believe it. Guilty, innocent or social or formal or informal just because a detective or a police officer wants to talk with you does not mean that you are under any obligation to do so and I certainly would not do so without a licensed attorney present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">