• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should i be worried about?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1500colas

i live in New York, and i am 19 years old.
my girl friend is 16 years old and she is pregnant. should i be worried about the state arresting me for her pregnancy?\
thanks

CdwJava

1500colas said:
my girl friend is 16 years old and she is pregnant. should i be worried about the state arresting me for her pregnancy?\
thanks
Yes. Since the age of consent is 17 in NY, there is a good chance that you can be charged with a crime.

- Carl

AHA

1500colas said:
thanks
Yes. And get a good income for the cs you'll be paying.

1500colas

other things to think about

i do know that she and her parents wont press charges, does that help at all?

AHA

1500colas said:
Anyone who knows your ages can report you. Hhhm, the doctors and nurses at the hospital during her pregnancy check-ups and when she gives birth for example!!!!!

CdwJava

1500colas said:
The state pursues charges - the victims and complainants do not.

Additionally, the medical staff are mandated reporters and depending on your state's laws, they may be REQUIRED to advise the authorities of the child molestation that resulted in the pregnancy.

I would recommend speaking to an attorney.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

CdwJava said:
The state pursues charges - the victims and complainants do not.

Additionally, the medical staff are mandated reporters and depending on your state's laws, they may be REQUIRED to advise the authorities of the child molestation that resulted in the pregnancy.

I would recommend speaking to an attorney.

- Carl
They are. A call will be put in to the SCR, who will then farm it out to the local child welfare agency to investigate. Once they pull the medical records and see mommy's age, the OP can expect to be brought into court (probably criminal and not family court due to his age). Depending on what county he's in, the penalties can range from anywhere to a slap on the wrist (probation) to some jail time.

One caveat: if this was the judge's daughter he knocked up, then you can expect the death penalty.

CdwJava

You Are Guilty said:
One caveat: if this was the judge's daughter he knocked up, then you can expect the death penalty.
I can think of a few more fathers that might pursue that as well :cool: ... then there is the shotgun wedding idea.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">