• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sicko neighbor, any legal recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trillian

What is the name of your state? MA

My 15-year-old daughter and 13 year-old son were home alone last Friday (single mother has to work).

The neighbor who we have known for years (man in his 40s, with wife and kids) came over to ask if he could print something out on their computer. They let him in, since they knew him. He printed out a letter and left.

My son went to camp so my daughter was alone with the door unlocked. (and YES, I have had words about that!)

She came out of her room and there was this guy standing there in the kitchen. He said he wanted to talk and brought out the letter. It was sexually graphic and explained what he wanted to do to her, etc. He said he was attracted to her, etc.

So, she asked him to leave, ran to her room and called me. He did leave and I called the police.

They are working on this, but initially they told me that he did not break any laws. How can this be??

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Son of Slam

trillian said:
What is the name of your state? MA

My 15-year-old daughter and 13 year-old son were home alone last Friday (single mother has to work).

The neighbor who we have known for years (man in his 40s, with wife and kids) came over to ask if he could print something out on their computer. They let him in, since they knew him. He printed out a letter and left.

My son went to camp so my daughter was alone with the door unlocked. (and YES, I have had words about that!)

She came out of her room and there was this guy standing there in the kitchen. He said he wanted to talk and brought out the letter. It was sexually graphic and explained what he wanted to do to her, etc. He said he was attracted to her, etc.

So, she asked him to leave, ran to her room and called me. He did leave and I called the police.

They are working on this, but initially they told me that he did not break any laws. How can this be??

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I suggest you add to the story. For instance, was this the same letter the neighbor typed? Do you have it in hard copy or on file in computer? Do you know who this guy is? Is he an adult?

H

hexeliebe

I would suggest you take your neighbor aside and tell him the following:

"I had the computer serviced by the tech department at work. I have a copy of the letter you printed from the printer spool. If you ever come to my home again, or every speak with my children in any manner, I will take a copy of the letter and have lunch with your wife."

and then turn and walk off.

T

trillian

I know who this guy is - he lives 2 houses down from me, he is in his 40's.

There is no evidence of the letter on my PC - he just printed it from a floppy that he brought over, and he took it with him when he left. So, there probably is evidence of it on HIS PC, but they dont have grounds enough for a warrant yet (dont ask me WHY?!)

When the police took him in for questioning, he admitted freely to doing this and doesnt think he did anything wrong - he thinks it is perfectly ok what he did!

He used to be a cop, so he knew how far he could go before stepping over the line and breaking the law.

Apparently he was not trespassing because:
1. he was not specifically told not to come in
2. there is no "no trespassing" sign
3. he didnt do anything criminal (like exposing himself, or touching her)
4. he did leave when told to

He rules over his timid wife with an iron fist, so she would have no influence over what he does - she probably knows about it, but the police are going to tell her anyway.

I just feel so helpless!!

H

hexeliebe

Who said anything about proving it? I said tell him. He won't know it's not true.

E

emersonpoet

YOUR DAUGHTER NEEDS YOU

YOU NEED to make sure that your daughter is safe from this man-AT ALL COSTS! Get him away from her or her away from him-

rape and sexual abuse are crimes of POWER NOT SEX!!!!

You don't want your daughter to be like me- a survivor.

Do you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">