• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sidestepping Food Stamps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mb17889

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

At a 7-Eleven I frequent, I am often approached by somebody requesting money. Several times, this has taken the form of a person approaching me after I have my food items in hand and am moving toward the cashier. The person will ask me for money in exchange for them buying my food with their food stamps. Twice, they (usually a young male) have offered to give me about $14 dollars in items for $7 or $8 in cash. The reason they give is generally that they need an item their EBT will not pay for (generally diapers).

My question is this: is it lawful to me to side-step (violate?) the requirements of their benefits as outlined above?

I have recently been concerned that such monies will be used to buy alcohol or (more likely since they are in 7-Eleven) cigarettes, which I would not fund. When I have offered to go to a nearby Wal-Mart and purchase diapers and bring them back and start asking questions about what size to get and how much a small package of diapers costs, they say that they don't want to inconvenience me.

My follow-up questions are these: if the above scenario is unlawful for me, what penalties will I face for doing so (I have done it thrice)? Is it illegal for the EBT cardholder? If so, what penalties might they face?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

At a 7-Eleven I frequent, I am often approached by somebody requesting money. Several times, this has taken the form of a person approaching me after I have my food items in hand and am moving toward the cashier. The person will ask me for money in exchange for them buying my food with their food stamps. Twice, they (usually a young male) have offered to give me about $14 dollars in items for $7 or $8 in cash. The reason they give is generally that they need an item their EBT will not pay for (generally diapers).

My question is this: is it lawful to me to side-step (violate?) the requirements of their benefits as outlined above?

I have recently been concerned that such monies will be used to buy alcohol or (more likely since they are in 7-Eleven) cigarettes, which I would not fund. When I have offered to go to a nearby Wal-Mart and purchase diapers and bring them back and start asking questions about what size to get and how much a small package of diapers costs, they say that they don't want to inconvenience me.

My follow-up questions are these: if the above scenario is unlawful for me, what penalties will I face for doing so (I have done it thrice)? Is it illegal for the EBT cardholder? If so, what penalties might they face?
Yes, it's illegal. Go forth and sin no more.

LdiJ

Its illegal, but its nothing that is likely to get you in any trouble, the food stamp receiver is the one who would get in the most trouble...however, you should stop doing it. I do kind of sympathize with people who are doing it for truly emergency reasons (ie needing diapers). I personally have purchased diapers for people I know are in need, just because I understand how hard it must be to be in that situation.

Just Blue

They are asking you to do this to buy drugs. And yes it is illegal. It is called FRAUD.

LdiJ

They are asking you to do this to buy drugs. And yes it is illegal. It is called FRAUD.
That is kind of an unfair, blanket statement. There are probably some people that do it to buy drugs. However, there are some people who do it to buy real necessities. Remember, not everybody on food stamps is a criminal who is trying to live off the government. Some of them are just people in temporary need, or the working poor.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That is kind of an unfair, blanket statement. There are probably some people that do it to buy drugs. However, there are some people who do it to buy real necessities. Remember, not everybody on food stamps is a criminal who is trying to live off the government. Some of them are just people in temporary need, or the working poor.
The people referenced in THIS thread, however, are not the folks you're talking about.

Astrolink

It doesn't matter if they are traded/sold for diapers or drugs, it's against the law.

Violation of the Food Stamp Act (7
U.S.C. 2024).

One of the most common
forms of food stamp fraud, known as
food stamp trafficking, involves the
illegal buying or selling of food stamp
benefits for cash, drugs, weapons or
other items of value. Unlawful posses-
sion or use of food stamp benefits in an
amount of $100 or more is a felony;
less than $100 is a misdemeanor.

Last edited:

LeeHarveyBlotto

It doesn't matter if they are traded/sold for diapers or drugs.

Violation of the Food Stamp Act (7
U.S.C. 2024).

One of the most common
forms of food stamp fraud, known as
food stamp trafficking, involves the
illegal buying or selling of food stamp
benefits for cash, drugs, weapons or
other items of value. Unlawful posses-
sion or use of food stamp benefits in an
amount of $100 or more is a felony;
less than $100 is a misdemeanor.
Regardless of the law, it matters a great deal.

commentator

Just remember, folks, those food coupons won't buy toilet paper, either, or toothpaste, laundry detergent or soap or shampoo. Not to mention the ubiquitous diapers. But usually the folks who are struggling, who really can't afford to buy diapers or toilet paper, will not ask. It's the young hustlers, the young fellows out to make a buck who will step up and ask you if you're a sympathetic lookin' person, to give them money, and let them buy diapers for my baby, rheumatiz rub for my granny.. whatever....., and they'll usually buy laundry powder or cigarettes or beer or Red Bull. Perhaps pseudofed, if they really really have a cold!!!!Stuff they can quickly use or resell. "Drugs," my foot. That's an urban legend if there ever was one.

Tell them no, and walk away. Sorry man, can't do it. Get lost. They know the penalties, they know the likelihood of their being caught, they are ready to take any consequences this particular issue may involve, which are most likely sanctions, such as that they are barred from getting food stamps for a few months. As I have said many times in regard to unemployment fraud, if we prosecuted every case there was of wrongdoing at this level, there'd be no room in the correction system for people who are father rapers and mother stabbers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">