• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Larceny with No Lawyer!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmandaLG

(North Carolina)

Hi, I am currently serving probation for Felony Possession of Marijuana in which I plead guilty to misdemeanor possession in exchange for 1 year of monitored probation. If I complete probation this will be removed from my record.

Other than the above charge I have not been convicted of any other crimes.

A couple of months after I was charged with the felony, but several months before I went to court for it and began probation, I was charged with Misdemeanor Larceny of which I am guilty.

I missed the court date for my Larceny charge this month and was arrested and posted bond. Due to this mishap, my lawyer will no longer represent me on this charge and I cannot afford another one.

My next court date is tomorrow, in about 30 hours.

I plan on representing myself but have no idea what to say. I have completed all community service hours for my felony charge, held a summer job at Circuit City for 2 months (before the larceny charge, after the felony), am now re-enrolled into high school and am one semester away from receiving my High School Diploma. I am 18 years old and continuously seeking employment as per probation officer requests. I should also today begin my required Drug Assessment class as per probation requests.

I have not received much advice from my previous lawyer on what is to be done. He said something about trying to get this larceny dismissed; my community service worker said something about how I really should try and get a "PBJ" (I believe that's what she called it) for this larceny charge.

If I'm not mistaken this has something to do with a prayer for justice or whatever? I once had a speeding ticket and I'm pretty sure that's what the lawyer got me to have it removed from my record. Any ideas as to what I should ask the judge for, and how I should go about doing it?

Thanks for ANY help you guys can give me -- thanks a lot.

AmandaLG

i would also like to add i have not paid the store (wal-mart) any amount of money... will i be expected to pay this at the court hearing?

AmandaLG

Bump...

Can anyone help me, please? ANY word of advice?

seniorjudge? anyone... if i have phrased something wrong or something is confusing about my situation please let me know... i need help fast!

S

seniorjudge

"...Any ideas as to what I should ask the judge for, and how I should go about doing it?..."

You may have to serve some time. You are a poor risk for continuing your probation because you have chosen not to follow the guidelines.

Beg and plead. Get a public defender if you can.

AmandaLG

That's the thing, the incident happend several months before I was on probation. Will that make a difference?

S

seniorjudge

AmandaLG said:
That's the thing, the incident happend several months before I was on probation. Will that make a difference?
I missed the court date for my Larceny charge this month and was arrested and posted bond. Due to this mishap, my lawyer will no longer represent me on this charge and I cannot afford another one.

I don't know what incident YOU are talking about; this is the one I was talking about. This, obviously, violated your probation.

AmandaLG

Ok guys thanks for your responses.

I am not very educated in law and was under the impression the failure to appear would only be looked at as more money out of my pocket rather than a probation violation.

My only hope now is to plea for mercy from the judge. The court date is tomorrow at 9:00 AM in the morning. I'm assuming this isn't enough time to get a public defender...

While representing myself, what should I specifically ask the judge for? How should I go about begging for mercy?

This sucks so bad. If I'm forced to serve time, will it be for the maximum sentence time for the felony, which is 1 year?

Thanks again... :(

S

seniorjudge

"I am not very educated in law and was under the impression the failure to appear would only be looked at as more money out of my pocket rather than a probation violation."
I am unclear on how you could see a failure to appear in court as anything but a probation violation!?

"I'm assuming this isn't enough time to get a public defender..."
You may get a PD when you go to court and he will ask for more time before anything happens to you.

"While representing myself, what should I specifically ask the judge for? How should I go about begging for mercy?"
Give the judge valid reasons why you should not go to prison.

"This sucks so bad. If I'm forced to serve time, will it be for the maximum sentence time for the felony, which is 1 year?"
It could be, I do not know. You are the one who chose this route.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">