• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister is harassing/slandering our mom, but mom won't press charges...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KNGaroo

My sister has been harassing my mom for a while, but a few days ago, she wrote a horrible email full of lies and sent it to several people who work at the same company as my mom. If the wrong person sees her email, and they actually believe what my sister said, my mom could get into a lot of trouble, and maybe even lose her job. I have been trying to get my mom to press charges, but since it came from my sister, she refuses. Is there any way someone else can press charges? Like can I press charges against my sister for harassing my mom?

...and just in case it matters, I am 28, and my sister is 20. She and my mom live in Alabama, and I live in Hawaii.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No - and might I suggest that you let Mom handle her own affairs? She's a big girl now.

sandyclaus

My sister has been harassing my mom for a while, but a few days ago, she wrote a horrible email full of lies and sent it to several people who work at the same company as my mom. If the wrong person sees her email, and they actually believe what my sister said, my mom could get into a lot of trouble, and maybe even lose her job. I have been trying to get my mom to press charges, but since it came from my sister, she refuses. Is there any way someone else can press charges? Like can I press charges against my sister for harassing my mom?

...and just in case it matters, I am 28, and my sister is 20. She and my mom live in Alabama, and I live in Hawaii.
If your mom chooses to allow your sister to do as she pleases and get away with it, there's nothing you can do about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">