• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister has been charged with 3 felony thefts and 2 misdemeanor theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atakili

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Hey all,

My sister stole about $12,000 from her place of employment (a credit union). She admits this freely and was let go by her employer about a year ago with no conditions. They have apparently been looking back in the records to seek out other offenses and that's when they discovered each separate event of theft obviously over $1000 each time except for the misdemeanor theft occasions.

She was working in the mortgage field until yesterday. When they found out about the charges they let her go. Any idea what her chances are? She has no priors. Always been a lawful citizen (as far as I know). I'm under the impression that for one felony charge she may be put on probation and ordered to pay a fine and pay the money back, but with three felony charges how harsh can we expect the judge to be? She will be nothing but cooperative and is talking to an attorney today.

Just curious as to how these things play out.

thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hey all,

My sister stole about $12,000 from her place of employment (a credit union). She admits this freely and was let go by her employer about a year ago with no conditions. They have apparently been looking back in the records to seek out other offenses and that's when they discovered each separate event of theft obviously over $1000 each time except for the misdemeanor theft occasions.

She was working in the mortgage field until yesterday. When they found out about the charges they let her go. Any idea what her chances are? She has no priors. Always been a lawful citizen (as far as I know). I'm under the impression that for one felony charge she may be put on probation and ordered to pay a fine and pay the money back, but with three felony charges how harsh can we expect the judge to be? She will be nothing but cooperative and is talking to an attorney today.

thanks
Ask her to ask her attorney - there's really nobody here who could guess at such a matter.

With that said, I hope they throw the book at her...really. She obviously has no qualms with stealing large amounts of money from people who trust her with their money.

justalayman

And just so she has something to think about;

Just because it's a first felony it doesn't mean she won't go to jail or prison. I've seen first offenders with what i see as a lesser offense go to prison.

Eekamouse

Hey all,

thanks
I wonder what she was able to steal from the mortgage company before they fired her. She's a thief and her past is going to screw her out of getting a decent, well paying job in the future. And that's what she deserves. Hope it was worth it to her. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">