• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jamesmason

Recently I attended a party. Unknowingly it wasn't the person who threw the party's house. So now the FBI and police are getting fingerprints and Dna because things were stolen. And people are saying everyone who attended will get charged with breaking in.(my prints are in the system for something else so they would come up if found on anything) what is your say on the matter

quincy

What is the name of your state, Jamesmason?

If charged with breaking and entering, you will probably be well-served by hiring an attorney for your defense, this especially if you have been charged with a similar crime in the past. And, of course, if you are in possession of any of the goods stolen from the house, that will be a problem for you.

That said, if you were merely a guest at the party and had no way of knowing that the party host was not the home owner, it seems to me that any charge against you could be dismissed, based strictly on what you have posted here.

quincy

I have not been a charged yet and the previous offense was minor. And the state is Virginia
Thank you for providing your state name, Jamesmason.

If you are not disputing the fact that you were at the party, fingerprints found in the house will mean very little. I am actually surprised that the FBI is involved in a breaking and entering case, and equally surprised that fingerprints and DNA are being collected.

Is there more to your story?

Whatever the rest of the story might be, if you are not charged yet, I would not be concerned - but I would also not be talking too much to others about the party. If the police contact you, exercise your right to remain silent. What you say to the police can make a difference in any defense to any charges that may result. If questioned, refer all questions to your attorney and, if charged with any crime, you will want this attorney's help.

Good luck.

quincy

Not that the real story is going to change the advice to remain silent when speaking to law enforcement officials or to hire an attorney for your defense, should you be charged with a crime. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">