• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

skipped jury duty then received non compliance letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jokol7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

So i received a jury summons and deferred it because I was away at school during the time.

I then received another letter a year later and decided to not respond.

One year later I received a non-compliance letter saying that I must appear in court within 20 days to either admit to the non-compliance or contest the charge.

I feel i have several options.

1. Ignore the letter once again and whenever the police show up for me or I get caught (if that even happens) I can claim ignorance (i never received the letter)
2. Show up to court and make the same claim of never receiving the summons letter
3. Go to court and admit the non compliance and take whatever punishment they give me.

Obviously number 3 is something I would like to not do at all, so i figure number 1 or 2 are the best choices (number 2 being the best)

Can anyone give me some advice?

quincy

So i received a jury summons and deferred it because I was away at school during the time.

One year later I received a non-compliance letter saying that I must appear in court within 20 days to either admit to the non-compliance or contest the charge.

1. Ignore the letter once again and whenever the police show up for me or I get caught (if that even happens) I can claim ignorance (i never received the letter)
2. Show up to court and make the same claim of never receiving the summons letter
3. Go to court and admit the non compliance and take whatever punishment they give me.

Obviously number 3 is something I would like to not do at all, so i figure number 1 or 2 are the best choices (number 2 being the best)

If I were you, I would go with option number 3.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I would advise you not the break the law again. :rolleyes:

jokol7

If I were you, I would go with option number 3.
why would i incriminate myself like that?

i mean theoretically they can't prove i ever received the second letter, it didn't come by certified mail so there's no evidence showing i received it and then disregarded it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

i mean theoretically they can't prove i ever received the second letter, it didn't come by certified mail so there's no evidence showing i received it and then disregarded it.
This is not "goaheadandcommitperjury.com" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jokol7

This is not "goaheadandcommitperjury.com" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
ok. so to help you step down from your ivory tower for just a minute,

let's say i made a mistake. it turns out i actually didn't receive the second letter, now am i in the clear to use that as a line of contention against the noncompliance charge?

quincy

why would i incriminate myself like that? ...
Why?

Because you are a fine upstanding citizen who screwed up and you now want to admit to your previous error in judgment by heading to court? Because you could not live with yourself if you were dishonest? Because your family and friends would be disappointed in you if you lied? Because on this site we don't advise someone lie to get out of whatever consequences their ill-thought out acts or actions got them into?

jokol7

Why?

Because you are a fine upstanding citizen who screwed up and you now want to admit to your previous error in judgment by heading to court? Because you could not live with yourself if you were dishonest? Because your family and friends would be disappointed in you if you lied? Because on this site we don't advise someone lie to get out of whatever consequences their ill-thought out acts or actions got them into?
wow. ok i severely misjudged this website. i didn't reaize it was filled with a bunch of condescending and sanctimonious tools.

quincy

wow. ok i severely misjudged this website. i didn't reaize it was filled with a bunch of condescending and sanctimonious tools.
Yup. You severely misjudged this website - but not for the reason you cited. You thought we would tell you to lie to the court. Silly, silly you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're not seriously telling us you expected a legal website to tell you to break the law, are you?

They don't have to prove you received it, btw. They only have to prove it was sent, which they can do. YOU have to prove you didn't receive it.

Which side do you think a court is going to believe?

Proserpina

Here's the fun part.

The State will assume that you've received it.

You can claim that you didn't, but it's not going to help.

(Seriously kid, do you really think that this is the first time somebody had that idea?)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

It wasn't returned to the court with a change of address. But hey continue breaking the law. In fact, commit perjury (which is a felony in most places). Jail would do you some good.

quincy

So were you away at school and never saw the letter in time or not?
He received the first notice and responded to it and got a deferment. He received the second notice and decided to ignore it. He received a third notice, advising him of his non-compliance, and he WANTS to ignore it.

Which is not smart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">