• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tonyahawk7

California is my state, and my issue is that a fellow parent at my 10 year old child's school made the statement that my son was gay. She said this to 4-5 other students in his class, while they were standing in line. My son wasn't there but the children told him about it. Can I file any legal charges against this person and will it hold up in court???:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tonyahawk7 said:
California is my state, and my issue is that a fellow parent at my 10 year old child's school made the statement that my son was gay. She said this to 4-5 other students in his class, while they were standing in line. My son wasn't there but the children told him about it. Can I file any legal charges against this person and will it hold up in court???:confused:

My response:

Under California law, you don't, or rather I should say, your son doesn't have a Cause of Action.

Slander is basically an oral libel - - i.e., a false unprivileged oral statement to a third party (a "publication") which by its "natural consequence" causes actual damage (unless the statement is slander per se, below). [Ca Civil § 46]

Your son can't prove "actual" damages; e.g., a monetary loss.

However, with "Slander per se", actual damages need not be proven if the statement is presumptively injurious. An utterance constitutes slander per se if it:

• Charges any person with crime involving moral turpitude, or having committed or been punished for a crime;

• Tends to injure the person with respect to his or her profession, business, or office; or

• Imputes to the person impotence, promiscuity, or the existence of an infectious, contagious or loathsome disease. [Ca Civil § 46]

Your son doesn't fall within the ambit of the Statute because being, or not being gay does not involve moral turpitude, a crime, he doesn't have a profession, business or office, and being gay is not infectious, and is not a disease.

However, his and your feelings have been hurt and, perhaps, a sincere apology is in order.

Hurt feelings does not constitute a legal cause of action.

IAAL

Jeter

Jeez, you live in California. The 4-5 other students that she told are probably gay, too, so what's the harm?:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">