• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a friend that is trying to get a job in law enforcement. He is former military and has put himself through college, now trying to get a new job in the field.

He briefly dated a girl who turned out to have a few loose screws... she asked him to marry her, he said no, and she went psycho. In the days that followed this she moved out of his apartment, stole some of his property in the process, took out a temporary restraining order alleging sexual assault and battery, and claims to have made police reports to that effect.

In his law enforcement interviews he had to disclsoe this information and he feels it adversely effected his chances of getting the job.

The girl was a no show at the hearing for the restraining order and it was dropped. He still has yet to hear from the police if a report of sexual assault was ever made, but she says she made one.

He has recordings of her voicemails that say something along the lines of "hope this doesn't effect your cahnces of getting a job, but oh well", along with a few others that sound very much like lies. As an extra bonus she also claimed to be pregnant, then a few days later admitted to lying abou that too.

So my question... does this guy have enough to try to seek damages from this woman for slander since she has lied about him commiting a sexual assualt with the sole intention of ruining his employment opportunities? If so, what kind of damages can he seek?

I have been urging him to look in to this, but he can not afford an attorney. Maybe some positive feedback will help to give him a push to take care of this.

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">