• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander, Employment and Criminal Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whattodo2013

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

So I worked for a company for over a month putting in 84+ hours a week. I decided to quit without notice and the owner withheld my final paycheck. I filed a complaint with the labor board. The next week a friend called and told me that there was a check for me at the business. The check is incorrect - it is missing two days and I sent that to the labor board.

The same friend contacts me several days later to let me know that the business was "broken" into and that the owner told the police that it was me. It wasn't and I can prove where I was. The story I was told is that my friend discovered the front door open in the morning and then realized that money was missing. The security company for the property said that they discovered the door open the night before but didn't do anything or contact anyone the night before. The business is supposed to have cameras, etc so it should show if anyone entered. I returned all my keys to the building and the keys aren't the kind you could duplicate at home depot.

My question is can I sue him for slander? I haven't heard from the police to confirm anything but the owner is an extremely rude, arrogant individual and likes to put blame on everyone else for everything that is wrong with his business. I am not sure what steps to take regarding my final paycheck, the alleged crime or the slander.

Thanks for any input.

tranquility

Not for what he told the police if in good faith. For what he tells others? Maybe.

While being accused of a crime is a per se defamation and damages do not need to be proven, they still relate to what you would eventually win in a judgment. As well, there are many difficulties in a defamation lawsuit you will be unable to surmount without an attorney. It is not a do-it-yourself type of suit. Most attorneys will not deal with such things without a lot of provable damages up front. But, if the owner told others, you certainly can shop it around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">