• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander / Libel charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

feinre

What is the name of your state? New York.

My husband was fired from his job last year. He was denied unemployment for taking a side job that paid him $60. He has no signed non-compete agreement or anything stating that he can not try to get business from customers that were using his previous employer. The previous employer has recently sold the equipment to run the business and is dissolving the business. My husband sent out a couple emails to previous clients saying that he can serve their needs. There was nothing slanderous in the emails. My husband also has not made any money whatsoever off of those clients. He is now being accused by the previous employer of passing around false information about the company. We have no idea what he could be referring to. Wouldn't his previous employer have to prove that somehow my husband caused the company to loose revenue (since he was fired) in order for him to be sued?

O

oberauerdorf

It depends on what was said in the e-mails, which we cannot read since you did not post one here.

IF he is saying that the business is folding and it is, in fact, simply selling off excess equipment and inventory, then yes, the company could make a case.

HOWEVER, without the emails and complete details of the company situation, the only answer you can get that would be valid is from an attorney who can read the e-mails and who knows the situation with the company firsthand.

F

feinre

I apologize I do not have the emails with me. What he stated in the emails was that he heard that the company had been sold. Which is true - not a false statement. We did consult our attorney who thinks this is just a threat. I wanted to get a feel for what this could turn in to. I also did not mention that the previous employer was arrested and pled guilty to harrassment charges - my husband was the victim. We feel this is a retaliatory act and hopefully will not go anywhere. Thank you

O

oberauerdorf

Then follow the advice of your attorney.

What I can give you is only an opinion. NOT legal advice based on the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">