• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security, Income Tax Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magickalady

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My grandaughter is 20. Her mother died in 1998, and she and her 2 siblings were awarded right under $1,000 per month for social security death benefits. Since then, the Dad has used VERY little for the children: they get reduced lunches at school, pay for their own school supplies, clothes, toiletries, school related activities from monies they earned during summer and after school jobs. They were never given money for other reasons. Both girls also paid for their own prom, and senior pictures.

The female sibling graduated this year, so there is now only 1 male sibling (age 16) at home on the SS. He is an extremely troubled child, and is basically kept around to be a work horse (I live across the street.) He has been caught stealing on numerous occasions and was recently convicted for sexual abuse on a 4 year-old child. He awaits sentencing.

The 20-year old is now attempting to fill out her FAFSA. She completely supports herself, with her parents (he is now remarried) often intimidating her until she gives them money. They provide NO support on her behalf. She has her own job, lives outside the home with her own job, but they claimed her on their income tax.They were FULLY aware that she claimed herself (there was quite a scene) and received a refund in February. Now she is attemting to fill out her FAFSA, but is told that it can't be done until 1 of them fills out an ammendment and repays the money. They won't do it, and she spent her money on another car. This is sabotage on her education.

This is getting out of control. By the time she graduated, they owed her $520.
After a year they reluctantly agreed to sign over a car that was worth $400 in lieu of the money. In Feb. She bought another car, and she was once again intimidated into allowing them to "buy the car back with 2 - $200 payments. They have paid $100, and then the boy wrecked the car in April. They have stated that they have no intention of paying her because it is not their responsibility; but they are utilizing the car for spare parts.

I cannot help her financially. I, too am a college student, but I am on a mission to obtain help. I thank you in advance for any help you may render.

until one of them files an amendment

i'd go to the court and ask for a judge to order them to file the admendment and pay.

magickalady

Emancipation?

pittsmark6 said:
i'd go to the court and ask for a judge to order them to file the admendment and pay.
Is it possible to go directly to the judge, or must she have an attorney?

She now has her college adviser in her corner. Her plans are to contact Legal Aid for assistance, but she's scared. Her adviser also suggested that even if she were emancipated, she would still be required to utilize her parent's income taxes to fill out the FAFSA until she is 24. How is this possible if they are no longer her legal guardians?

I certainly appreciate all information I can gather on her behalf. This is a real quandry for a student that is working hard and trying to break the abuse cycle.

PS: In case anyone is wondering, I am her step-mother's mother. My daughter was not raised this way, but I refuse to plau a part in continuing abuse. Blood may be blood, but wrong is still wrong!

Happy Trails

magickalady said:
Is it possible to go directly to the judge, or must she have an attorney?

She now has her college adviser in her corner. Her plans are to contact Legal Aid for assistance, but she's scared. Her adviser also suggested that even if she were emancipated, she would still be required to utilize her parent's income taxes to fill out the FAFSA until she is 24. How is this possible if they are no longer her legal guardians?

I certainly appreciate all information I can gather on her behalf. This is a real quandry for a student that is working hard and trying to break the abuse cycle.

PS: In case anyone is wondering, I am her step-mother's mother. My daughter was not raised this way, but I refuse to plau a part in continuing abuse. Blood may be blood, but wrong is still wrong!
Students who are less than 24 years of age are still considered dependent students for FAFSA purposes although they may claim themselves on their own taxes, and/or may not receive financial assistance from their parents. Their parents' income and assets are calculated in the Expected Family Contribution or EFC on the FAFSA. Exceptions to this regulation are rarely made, but may be considered for students who have official documentation for declared emancipation from their parents, such as orphans or wards of the court, married students and/or students who have dependents of their own. Students who are 24 years of age or older are considered independent students and are not required to include parent information on the FAFSA. However, married students need to include their spouse's information when filing the FAFSA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">