• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

candibean

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Someone I know is getting a check for disability and has signed a lease for a resturaunt and is running the place too. I was wondering if this person gets turned in, who all would get in trouble for this persons stupidity? I do not want to turn them in, but I worry about someone else turning this person in since they are taking advantage of the system, so to speak. This person is clearly able to work, because the person is doing hard physical labor. The reason they are on disability is because they are suppose to be unable to handle physical labor work. I just don't want to see people that I am close to get in trouble because of this person doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any info.

HomeGuru

candibean said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

Someone I know is getting a check for disability and has signed a lease for a resturaunt and is running the place too. I was wondering if this person gets turned in, who all would get in trouble for this persons stupidity? I do not want to turn them in, but I worry about someone else turning this person in since they are taking advantage of the system, so to speak. This person is clearly able to work, because the person is doing hard physical labor. The reason they are on disability is because they are suppose to be unable to handle physical labor work. I just don't want to see people that I am close to get in trouble because of this person doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any info.
**A: and when you called the SS office to file a report, what did they tell you?

C

candibean

I did not turn this person in. As I stated above in the post, I do not want to turn this person in and have no desire to. I am worried about someone else doing it since so many people know this person is on disability and working. This person is married and I worry about the spouse getting in trouble also. The spouse signed the lease too, but does not run this business. The person getting disability is. What would happen to the spouse and to the person getting the disability payments if someone, not me, did report this? Thanks for replying.

Beth3

And you don't mind that part of the social security tax you pay each and every pay period is going to someone who is engaging in disability fraud? You may not mind but I sure do.

C

candibean

I do not think this is right (getting disability when you shouldn't), I will agree with that. Could someone please help me with my question though? I do not really care about the person comitting the fraud getting caught, but I do care about the spouse. Can anything happen to the spouse?

mykoleary

candibean said:
I do not think this is right (getting disability when you shouldn't), I will agree with that. Could someone please help me with my question though? I do not really care about the person comitting the fraud getting caught, but I do care about the spouse. Can anything happen to the spouse?
Their sposue would end up living alone as the violator bides their time in jail. They would also likely have to pay back a portion if not all of the recieved disability payments.

Hopefully you would get convicted for something too for knowing about the situation but failing to report.

I don't pay my taxes for louses like this to steal from the system.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The spouse will not get in trouble unless s/he was also engaged in the fraud. And if that is the case, then s/he deserves to be in trouble, right?

C

candibean

Thank you for answering my question. I know the person committing the fraud deserves to get into trouble. I just don' t feel comfortable turning this person in since they are mentally insane and could probably get disability just from that and not from the physical disability. The business this person is running is suffering because of voilent outbursts this person has with employees and customers. It is just a really "messed" up situation. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">