• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SOL on theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CaliCat

What is the name of your state? CA

I bought something online from a guy in CA far, far from here. I was in NJ at the time. Total cost was $500. He claimed to have mailed it and even provided the express mail number, which I verified to be real. Well, it was lost, and he had 90 days to file a lost-package claim with the PO. 90 days was up the 16th, and I have not heard word on if he followed through and filed. He promised he'd let me know when he did.

What are the SOL on charging this guy? He has proof of mailing it when he said he did, but I doubt the claim was ever filed. Can anyone tell me what to do from here, if I would even have a case? I don't want to drive hundreds of miles to court if I don't. And if the case against him is weak because he did mail it, I probably wouldn't bother at all. Please help.

D

deweydecimal

Did you use the USPO? bad girl.......

Never use the US post office on an expensive item, its always UPS.....

He probably didnt insure it thats why he cant file a claim.

My UPS center is strict about making sure of whats in the packages, they open them up and check, and they want to know if there is anything valuable, and if its insured for the full amount and is well packed...

They type in the name and address into their computer, and give you a tracking #

UPS is far more professional the our Post office.

Did he send you the original reciept for the mailing? he gets a copy just like UPS, are you sure he sent it to your address? did he have it sent with a verified delivery? did a neighbor take it?

Did he keep the reciept he paid for the postage? That will tell you the date time cashier # plus the zip code it was sent to and the weight.

well?

Last edited:
C

CaliCat

He sent me the delivery confirmation and isurance slip scans. But we all know the post office does not always require them to be filled out before sending something. They should though to verify that the addresses match. But I do think he sent something, and I'd like to know how long I can do something about it, and what I can do.

Jeter

You may try contacting the Attorney General in CA. However, as a practical matter it sounds like you have lost your money.

Jeter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">