• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sold a car, it was involved in a murder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dennybird

What is the name of your state? california,

my friend sold his car to his sister-inlaw, she never did register it and he never sent in a release of liability. she loaned the car to someone who committed a murder, now they are after my friend who sold the car.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dennybird said:
What is the name of your state? california,

my friend sold his car to his sister-inlaw, she never did register it and he never sent in a release of liability. she loaned the car to someone who committed a murder, now they are after my friend who sold the car.

My response:

Thank you for that heartwarming story.

IAAL

Beth3

Well, naturally. If a vehicle is used in the commission of a crime the police are certainly going to look first to the registered owner of the car. So he tells them he sold it to his sister, the cops to go the sister who tells them she loaned it to psycho Joe. The police then go and arrest the killer.

So what's the problem???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Beth3 said:
Well, naturally. If a vehicle is used in the commission of a crime the police are certainly going to look first to the registered owner of the car. So he tells them he sold it to his sister, the cops to go the sister who tells them she loaned it to psycho Joe. The police then go and arrest the killer.

So what's the problem???

==========================================

My response:

Beth, did you see a question? You know, I looked, and looked, and looked, and I couldn't find one.

IAAL

D

dennybird

they say he needs a attorney? I was just wondering just how much trouble is he in?

M

Mikedani

How much Trouble? In California?

Not much probably just get a couple of months in County, be back home in no time.

D

dennybird

i thought this was a professional site, I can see none of you really know anything than to say something that you think is funny.

Beth3

denny, if your friend's ONLY involvement was to sell the car to someone and not properly register the sale, I can't see that he's in any trouble at all other than perhaps a citation. If there's more to the story, then perhaps he does have cause to worry.

As I said the first time, what's the problem???

G

gooberitiz

He has no bill of sale to prove he actually "SOLD" the car to his sister.

So now they wonder if he was an involved with the "friend" and the murder....

...........we wont know until he answers back.

D

dennybird

Yes there was no bill of sale since it was his sister-in-law, he more or less gave it to them, but the car was never taken out of his name, him being the registered owner of the car in calif, they would go to them right away. Now since there was a murder they havent arressted him yet, they are only investigating this matter. His sister did tell the police who did have her car but that person cant be found. As some of us know someone has to pay for this crime, all I wanted to know was if legally he was in alot of trouble. Just because you tell the police it wasnt you, do you think they would believe that considering it was a murder involved?

T

toasted

Relax. When a vehicle or item is used in a crime (or possibly used) the police have a fancy law saying they can seize the property and keep it themselves. So chances are they are just going to be keeping the car and are only trying to notify the legal *papered* owner of their intent.

Hope that helps.

G

gooberitiz

I think you are right, the police will keep the car as evidence in a crime.

Probably until after the dissapearing muderer is found and had a trial.

so he might as well kiss the car gooooddbyyyyeeeeeeee!

M

Mike101

If the police do a proper investigation and your friend was not involved then he shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">