• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold Mis-Titled vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magno21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas, Houston.

I bought a vehicle from a mom an pop used dealer, the vehicle was titled to me an delived by mail to me with NO LIEN HOLDERS whatsoever. I figured i was not supposed to have it so i returned it to the dealer. About 4-5 months later i lost my job, times got extremely tight and i was able to get a copy of the title from state office and sell the car. The dealer i believe has realized what ive done and has threated to file a criminal lawsuit against me. I let him know i would honor the debt but im afraid if i dont pay hi as fast as he pleases he will seek legal obligations. i owe in the neighboorhood of 5,000 dollars give or take. Is such a thing A crime, it seems to me it would be a civil matter, can i go to jail for the money i owe him, technically the car was mine, titled to me, but my contract with him was not complete.
Is this a Criminal case? He is saying I committed Theft By Deception, could i go to jail? Please respond thank you!

How old are you, 48 yrs old? Your writing makes an unintelligible story. May wish to delete the thread & re-write it with dates etc that actually provides facts that a person can understand.

HuAi

Not theft, but try

FORGERY, 3rd degree felony:
PENAL CODE  CHAPTER 32. FRAUD

HINDERING SECURED CREDITORS, state jail felony
PENAL CODE  CHAPTER 32. FRAUD

TAMPERING WITH GOVERNMENTAL RECORD, 3rd degree felony
PENAL CODE  CHAPTER 37. PERJURY AND OTHER FALSIFICATION

Get a second job and start paying the dealer. If he decides to turn you in, you're in for a world of hurt

Punishments:

3rd degree felony: 2-10 years in prison, fine up to $10k
state jail felony: 6 mo - 2 years in state jail, fine up to 10k

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">