• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vicious

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

what are my options in dealing with a case of DV, that may still be open. my PD said that it remains open until I complete a BIP class. He had already made a deal with the Prosecutor without my consent or knowledge until after the fact. he told me that no evidence would be used against her (things like other police reports, videos, witness's, the fact they caught her in a lie about the arresting officer (she said he made her write the statement a specific way) and how she was claiming to have had a sexual relationship with some of the officers who were there (her words).

Info: I did not have a trial, I have evidence to at least prove my innocence such as video, and even the first police report states that her story did not match her injuries (of which the report said she had none, but a "slight discolouration on her lower back that was not very visible"), she even told the police that she had attacked me first (there was no injuries on either of us) to show any kind of physical altercations had happened.

I am hoping to get some kind of advice for handling this since a DV is very bad especially since I have been trying to enlist in the military and was nearly done with the process when this happened.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

what are my options in dealing with a case of DV, that may still be open. my PD said that it remains open until I complete a BIP class.
Did you complete a BIP class?

I am hoping to get some kind of advice for handling this since a DV is very bad especially since I have been trying to enlist in the military and was nearly done with the process when this happened.
You already have an attorney who can give you advice for handling the domestic violence incident. I recommend you rely on this attorney's advice, as he knows the facts of your case.

I agree with you that trying to enlist in the military with a domestic violence charge pending will be difficult.

Vicious

Sorry I got ahead of myself and thought I had typed it in but the case was back in FEB. so right now I do not have a lawyer to consult with,

BIP is ongoing

and as for the PD. he had entered the plea without consenting with me and just told me to make an appointment with a parole officer, I did not even speak with the judge and I was never served with any papers about the judgement either.

As far as I know I don't think I can even get a waiver due to the fact that it is a DV charge (doesn't matter if it is a disorderly or even just a misdemeanor, as I have been told.) mostly due to a fed. law saying that (in short) anyone convicted of DV is prohibited from possessing a firearm and seeing as how it is the military after all firearms are a bit of a requirement lol. But my info on that is limited at best so if anyone knows any different then I am of course more than willing to listen

FlyingRon

I agree with you that trying to enlist in the military with a domestic violence charge pending will be difficult.
Not only difficult, if you are under any sort of probation, it is IMPOSSIBLE.
The military can not take you under such circumstances. Then, after you are out from under that, you'll have to explain if you actually ended up with a conviction on your record. If that is the case, you'll need a waiver to get in and that will be difficult as the military is overstrength now and disinclined to make exceptions for people. People statutorily barred form possessing weapons aren't particularly useful.

You should work with your attroney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">