• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some questions regarding Delaware Gun Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotarheels03

I hope I put this in the correct section. If not, my apologies.

As the title would suggest, i'm from Delaware. I'm 21 and currently looking to purchase a handgun, however I haven't been able to verify whether or not Delaware has any restrictions on magazine capacity. In states with mag restrictions anyone who's non-LE is limited to 10 round magazines. Does Delaware have any such restrictions?

Also, I dont plan on actually carrying (at least not yet) and DE law permits open carry, however certain local municipalities can deny the right to carry. The only such ordinance I've found is Dover. I know that any such local ordinance is only valid if enacted before 1985. Does the city of Newark have a pre-1985 ordinance prohibiting open carry?

One more question. Assuming carry in Newark is legal, once I am no longer a University of Delaware student am I no longer bound by University policy prohibiting guns on campus? Obviously I couldn't carry in University buildings, but if I am within what is considered the campus would such a University regulation still apply to me?

Thanks,
Mike

acmb05

I hope I put this in the correct section. If not, my apologies.

As the title would suggest, i'm from Delaware. I'm 21 and currently looking to purchase a handgun, however I haven't been able to verify whether or not Delaware has any restrictions on magazine capacity. In states with mag restrictions anyone who's non-LE is limited to 10 round magazines. Does Delaware have any such restrictions?
No they don't
Also, I dont plan on actually carrying (at least not yet) and DE law permits open carry, however certain local municipalities can deny the right to carry. The only such ordinance I've found is Dover. I know that any such local ordinance is only valid if enacted before 1985. Does the city of Newark have a pre-1985 ordinance prohibiting open carry?
Getting a CCW in Delaware is not that easy. First Delaware courts "may issue" CCW permits that allow people to carry concealed weapons in public if they believe it is in the interest of public safety. Anyone so approved must undergo safety training in the legal and safe use of the weapon.

One more question. Assuming carry in Newark is legal, once I am no longer a University of Delaware student am I no longer bound by University policy prohibiting guns on campus? Obviously I couldn't carry in University buildings, but if I am within what is considered the campus would such a University regulation still apply to me?

Thanks,
Mike
Yes it would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">