• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Somebody Else Pled to My Crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agogley

What is the name of your state? CA

In 1994, I stole approximately $2,300 from a fast food restaurant where I was an employee at the time. The corporate staff conducted an investigation into the theft and had all of the supervisors take polygraph tests. I passed mine. Another employee, however, did not. I know that this other employee was ultimately charged with a crime as I received a subpoena to testify against him. However, when I was never called to testify I assumed that the case had been dropped (I was 18 at the time and didn't know any better). A few years later I heard through rumors that this employee entered into a plea agreement related to my theft. I also heard that he confessed to stealing other smaller amounts of money from the tills (I am guessing this is why he didn't pass the polygraph).

Today, I feel horrible, first for committing a crime, and secondly for letting somebody else take the fall. However, I haven't seen this employee since that time and am not actually sure what the resolution to his case was. I am not sure I even correctly know his name. I'd like to know the following:
1.) Is there anything I can do to reverse his plea agreement, even if it includes references to criminal acts he actually committed in addition to my crime?
2.) If there is something I can do, will the statute of limitations protect me from current prosecution?
3.) If there is anything I can do, what potential consequences do I face (and by association my new wife)?
4.) What would your recommendation be under the circumstances?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">