• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone else using SSN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjjmom

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I went to Wal-Mart recently and wrote a check for my purchases. They rejected my check because they said I had a check in the system. The check was written in a town about 75 miles from my home town. I had never been to the Wal-Mart there.

When I called and inquiried about the "returned check" I was to have there, Wal-Mart told me that the name on the check was different than mine. They also told me that there were two different Social Security Numbers on the check, one printed on the check and another hand written. They then told me they (Wal-Mart) was not sure why my SSN was still attached to this check. They told me that they need me to come to the Wal-Mart in that town and clear this up. And they told me that they could not allow me to see the check.

My questions are as follow: If they are using this check to keep me from writing checks, why can't I see the check? Is there any avenue for me to go to get paid for my trip over there?

What am I to do?????

I'm at my wits end.

JETX

"If they are using this check to keep me from writing checks, why can't I see the check?"
*** How are we to know why they won't let you see the check?? What did they say when you asked them???

"Is there any avenue for me to go to get paid for my trip over there?"
*** No.

"What am I to do?????"
*** Take enough cash to 'buy' the check (if needed) and mosey on over to that Wal-Mart store. Ask them to make a copy of the check, front and back for you. Then provide your ID and show them your check book and check statements to show that you are not the person who wrote that check.
After you get the copies, go to the local police department and file a complaint against the person who did write the check.

JETX

Then contact the police department about a complaint of identity theft in the use of your SSN on the check in their possession. Arrange to meet the officer at their store. Want to bet they let HIM see the check?? And very likely he will let YOU see it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">