• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone getting refills on deceased person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mantrabowen

Mississippi, My father died of cancer in 1-2000. He was on some powerful pain medication that still had refills on the bottle. My brother-in law had these refilled, my mother saw them over at his house. His best friend is a pharmacist. Can he be prosecuted for this? How should I go about getting this information to the right source? Also , he let my deceased father's insurance pay, he just had to pay a co-payment. Isn't that insurance fraud? Should I contact the insurance company?

ellencee

What's the real issue here?
Surely you don't want to have your brother prosecuted over one refill on a prescription, even if it was for pain, and even if he did only pay the co-pay.
Yes, it's wrong, and it's probably illegal. Your brother's friend, the pharmacist, could have gotten this for him in other ways, also not legal; but, the point is that your brother didn't need to refill a prescription with a pharmacist gone-awry, he just needed the pharmacist gone-awry.
So, what's the real beef with your brother? Maybe there's an answer from someone who can help you with the deeper issue.
Deaths of parents and disbursements of their belongings and the execution of the will can and have broken up the 'best' of families, or at least caused an absence of good will towards one another.

M

Mantrabowen

Brother-in-law...not brother

Can I have him prosecuted? The reason behind this is a private matter, the issue being, Did he break the law?

F

FKNA

YES!...laws were broken. Contact the police, they will tell you what kind of charges can be filed.

I have read your other posts in other threads, you have one messed up family. I'm not saying this is you, I'm just going to throw out a statement. Vindictiveness will NEVER solve anything.

M

Mantrabowen

VINDICTIVENESS

I know that it will not. But my so called family is trying their best to put me in a situation where I do not have anything, since my father has passed away. I have never done anything to them, I have just sat back and taken everything, thinking that they would do the right thing. I was wrong. What would you do, honestly?

F

FKNA

Honestly? I'd let them fight amongst themselves. And I would disown my family. I don't think that I am "entitled" to anything my parents have. My dad is already dead and as far as I'm concern my mother can do whatever the heck she wants with what she has acquired over the years. To me, it wouldn't be worth the headache. If it makes them feel better to be that kind of person, more power to them. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around.

M

Mantrabowen

Thanks

Dear FKNY, Thank-you for your reply, you are just initials on paper, but I somehow feel your compassion and honesty on the internet, which is more than I can say for my family . You know, this is Christmas and they have left me with not even a way to get to the grocery store to buy food, nor have they even offered. But you have made me feel like a human being again and I thank-you from the bottom of my heart.

F

FKNA

You're welcome. Just screw 'em. Sure times might be rough on your right now. But you can bounce back and you can do it WITHOUT their help. And guess what, that's the best revenge you can get. Make a life for yourself, a happy life. Do it WITHOUT their assistance. It may take a while but I guarantee ya, you will love the results. And you won't have any trouble sleeping at night because you have chosen the route of a decent human being.

M

Mantrabowen

YOU ARE ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT

FKNA, It has been a breath of fresh air talking with you. You reminded me of the person that I truelly am, I do not need to let them turn me into someone like themselves. I have more important things to focus on, vendictiveness is wasted energy. Thank-you for taking the time for careing. I want to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">