• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone stole money under my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drtate

I am in California. The other day a police officer called me on my cell phone and said I was being called because of fraud. It appears someone created a check on a computer that had my name and old address preprinted on it. But it was done on a bank I have never dealt with on an account from a local business. The check was made out to Sprint and referenced my cell phone number. The officer gave me a case number and said I could not see the check because it was being entered into evidence. The amount was for $250. In talking with the officer I'm not sure he was accusing ME of doing it. He told me to check my credit history to be sure no one is opening credit in my name and charging against it. This appears like the malicious act of someone. When I checked with Sprint to cancel automatic payments, they told me they had a credit on file from a $250 deposit about 6 weeks ago. Question 1 is do I need an attorney? I didn't do anything. He said this happens frequently. How often does this happen to people. I have stopped all electronic transactions and told my friends of this event and to be careful for their own credit files. If someone actually were to bring any kind of charges against me, what would they be. I have this vision of police showing up on my door to arrest me and hauling me off to jail. Thanks for any info you can provide.

JETX

"It appears someone created a check on a computer that had my name and old address preprinted on it. But it was done on a bank I have never dealt with on an account from a local business."
** Something isn't right here. Your post implies that the check was drawn on a bogus account at a bank you never had an account with. You can't just 'create' checks and have them honored. You have to know the subjects MICR number (bank and account number). Without the correct MICR number, the check can't be processed.

"The check was made out to Sprint and referenced my cell phone number."
** Are you saying that this fraudulent check was used to pay YOUR cellphone bill?? How did the 'subject' get YOUR phone number, YOUR name, YOUR addresss and YOUR MICR number?

"The officer gave me a case number and said I could not see the check because it was being entered into evidence. The amount was for $250. In talking with the officer I'm not sure he was accusing ME of doing it."
** If the above is correct (all of YOUR information), I would sure suspect you.

"He told me to check my credit history to be sure no one is opening credit in my name and charging against it. This appears like the malicious act of someone."
** 'Someone' who seems to know a LOT of information about you.

"When I checked with Sprint to cancel automatic payments, they told me they had a credit on file from a $250 deposit about 6 weeks ago."
** Yeah, the fraudulent check. Be assured that as soon as all this gets squared away, you will owe them for the phone.

"Question 1 is do I need an attorney?"
** You don't need one yet, but it sounds like you certainly might start 'interviewing' in the event you do need one.

"I didn't do anything. He said this happens frequently. How often does this happen to people."
** Fraudulent checks are not uncommon. Checks as you describe apparently used to pay your own bills are not.

"I have stopped all electronic transactions and told my friends of this event and to be careful for their own credit files."
** Though I agree with you that 'auto debits' are a very risky way to do business, why did you stop them in this case?? Nothing in your post connects the 'auto debits' with your fraudulent check.

"If someone actually were to bring any kind of charges against me, what would they be."
** Could be theft, could be bank fraud, could be counterfeit of an instrument.... lots of possible charges.

D

drtate

** Something isn't right here. Your post implies that the check was drawn on a bogus account at a bank you never had an account with.

From what the police officer told me, it was created on a bank with a valid account for a local business. The bank and account was valid for that business. But I understand the check was made to Sprint and referenced my (long standing) cell phone number.

** Are you saying that this fraudulent check was used to pay YOUR cellphone bill?? How did the 'subject' get YOUR phone number, YOUR name, YOUR addresss and YOUR MICR number?

That is what is so strange. Why would someone go to the trouble to make a deposit into MY cell phone account. Lots of people have my cell phone number, name and address. And it wasn't MY MICR, but the one from this local business that I have nothing to do with.

** I would sure suspect you.

That's what bothers me. I would even agree that it sure looks fishy. Only name that comes to mind is a woman I work with who I reported for sexual harrassment. She is a mental case. If it was her I don't know how to go about proving it. My first concern is to prove that it wasn't me.

** 'Someone' who seems to know a LOT of information about you.
Woman at work would qualify. Dumpster diver is a possibility. I burn everything now.

** Yeah, the fraudulent check. Be assured that as soon as all this gets squared away, you will owe them for the phone.

The money wasn't for a phone. I have owned this phone and account for ages. And I have a history of paying the monthly bill by direct charge to my credit card. The last credit card statement I got had the correct charge on it. I already told the police officer there was $250 in my Sprint account that I didn't put there. Told Sprint not to do anything at this point and gave the police officer the phone number of their fraud unit. Giving the money to the police or whomever is not an issue. What concerns me is how it got there.

** "Question 1 is do I need an attorney?"
** You don't need one yet, but it sounds like you certainly might start 'interviewing' in the event you do need one.

I have been doing a lot of research on identity theft, ordered credit report, and got list of criminal attorneys locally to ask for a free interview.

** Though I agree with you that 'auto debits' are a very risky way to do business, why did you stop them in this case?? Nothing in your post connects the 'auto debits' with your fraudulent check.

That is true and I gave a lot of thought to it first. I am mostly taking the advice of places like www.identitytheft.org I also removed all credit cards and anything with any info on it from my wallet. Interestingly, CNN just had a piece on about identity theft and recommended the same things as that web site. It is amazing how vulnerable we are to the malicious deeds of another person, whether we know them or not.

** Could be theft, could be bank fraud, could be counterfeit of an instrument.... lots of possible charges.

Cheery. That will help me sleep better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">