• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son shot in the chest, but arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adonrn

We live in Oklahoma this happened in Oklahoma City
The facts as I know them:
1. Son 24, with previous criminal record and on parole involved in domestic with girlfriend.
2. went to friends house where girlfriend was and tried to get in to see girlfriend. (Understand he kicked the door)
3. Girl friend tried to exit house to talk to son, but friends restrained her and wouldn't let her go outside.
4. Son never entered house.
5. Son shot in chest 3 times while outside the house by male inside the house.
6. Son arrested for 1st degree burg & assault. Is in hospital due to gun shot wound with 24 hour police guard. Male who did the shooting not arrested or charged.
7. No formal charges filed yet, this happened 12/12/01. Investigators state they don't know what charges will be filed yet.

Questions:
1. Why was my son charged and not the shooter?
2. Police have refused to allow anyone, including me, to see my son, even when in ICU and in critial condition, and have not allowed any telephone calls either from him or to him (including the one phone call I thought everyone was entitled to).
3. How long do police have to file formal charges? How long can they hold him without filing charges?
4. Since police won't allow me to see him, don't they have to give information on charges, condition, etc?
5. What do I do next? (dont have money for attorney, will need a public defender) Is there anything I should be saying to the police?

Please help me, any information would be helpful. You can email me a [email protected]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

F

FKNA

1. Your son kicked the door in. The shooter has the right to protect himself and his property.

2. While in the hospital he's most likely not under "arrest". Ask the hospital administrator on why you can't talk to your son.

3. Once "arrested" they have 72 hours to charge him

4. See 2 & 3 above.....has he been "arrested" yet?

5. Praying that your son has a full recovery might be a good start.

vrzirn

Certainly can be in hospital, in ICU and under arrest. Can even have ankle chained to bed. An officer is stationed outside of ICU.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">