• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sopeana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alice+olivia

What is the name of your state? NE

Anybody can help me with how to initiate a sopeana - how to get some one to testify at my hearing?

Once the sopeana is delivered to the witness, what will happen if the witness doesn't show up for whatever reason?

Thank you!

outonbail

What is the name of your state? NE

Anybody can help me with how to initiate a sopeana - how to get some one to testify at my hearing?
Is this a criminal hearing, possibly a preliminary hearing or an arraignment? Or are you asking about subpoenaing someone for a civil suit, possibly small claims court?

alice+olivia

Is this a criminal hearing, possibly a preliminary hearing or an arraignment? Or are you asking about subpoenaing someone for a civil suit, possibly small claims court?
it's a hearing for harassment protection order. It's actually his wife, but i don't have any other witnesses. took a chance if she'd stand up and tell the truth. Any advice? What if she choose not to show up?

outonbail

it's a hearing for harassment protection order. It's actually his wife, but i don't have any other witnesses. took a chance if she'd stand up and tell the truth. Any advice? What if she choose not to show up?
Your asking for a protection order to stop some guy from harassing you and you want his wife to testify on your behalf, to side with you over her husband?

How is he harassing you?

Have you been able to communicate with her regarding the order of protection and if so, did she indicate she would be willing to testify on your behalf?

It would certainly be better if you knew for sure she was going to take your side, because then she would probably come to court voluntarily. If she does not want to provide testimony that would be beneficial to your cause, I don't think a subpoena is going to accomplish anything other than get her to appear, only to testify on her husbands behalf.

I think your taking a gamble and betting against the odds. If a subpoena arrives at their home and the husband is aware of it, I can't see things going your way with his wife.

What's your relationship to this couple?

alice+olivia

I think your taking a gamble and betting against the odds. If a subpoena arrives at their home and the husband is aware of it, I can't see things going your way with his wife.
QUOTE]

I agree. But odds are she will not want to appear at the hearing. Does that tell he's wrong that his wife wouldn't want to tetify it?

outonbail

No, if she fails to appear, it will not prove your case for you.

You will need to have evidence to support your claim. E mails, phone records, police reports, eye witnesses and so forth.

Is his wife the only person who saw him harass you?
How is he harassing you?
Is it an ongoing thing that is continuing to happen?
If so, how is it no one else is aware of it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">