• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Privilege

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Venomous

What is the name of your state? Nebraska (but a general answer will suffice)

If I am not mistaken, Spousal privilege allows a spouse to not have to testify against the other (correct me if I am wrong).

Taking that one step further, if the husband knows of a crime commited by his wife, is he required by law to report the crime to the authorities? Does something similar to spousal privilege apply here, or would he be considered an "accomplice" due to having knowlege of a crime being commited, and withholding that information?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Venomous said:
What is the name of your state? Nebraska (but a general answer will suffice)

If I am not mistaken, Spousal privilege allows a spouse to not have to testify against the other (correct me if I am wrong).

Taking that one step further, if the husband knows of a crime commited by his wife, is he required by law to report the crime to the authorities? Does something similar to spousal privilege apply here, or would he be considered an "accomplice" due to having knowlege of a crime being commited, and withholding that information?

My response:

Which criminal law class are you taking?

IAAL

V

Venomous

None, that's why I'm asking the question. It has to do with something that happened a few years ago, but I'm worried about it coming back to haunt me.

The reason I said general would suffice is because, the event occurred in Neb, she lives in TX and I in MN. I would assume that the laws of Neb would be the primary, in this case as the crime was commited there (with a related event in TX).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">