• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it Stalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dou4nzk

What is the name of your state? Ky I hired a private detective to do background checks in a custody case it is running into a lot of money. I need to do some actual "surveilance" to find out if abuse is actually occuring. If I do this myself, for ex. take pics and possibly video would this be considered stalking? What can I legally do on my own without being a "stalker"? Thanks

H

hexeliebe

Here is the Kentucky statutes relating to Stalking:

Section 508.130. DEFINITIONS FOR KRS 508.130 TO 508.150. 1992.

As used in KRS 508.130 to 508.150, unless the context requires otherwise:

(1)(a) To `stalk' means to engage in an intentional course of conduct:

1. Directed at a specific person or persons;

2. Which seriously alarms, annoys, intimidates, or harasses the person or persons; and

3. Which serves no legitimate purpose.

(b) The course of conduct shall be that which would cause a reasonable person to suffer substantial mental distress.

(2) `Course of conduct' means a pattern of conduct composed of two (2) of more acts, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally- protected activity is not included within the meaning of `course of conduct.' If the defendant claims that he was engages in constitutionally protected activity, the court shall determine the validity of that claim as a matter of law and, if found valid, shall exclude that activity from evidence."

Section 508.140. STALKING IN THE FIRST DEGREE. 1992.

(1) A person is guilty of stalking in the first degree,

(a) When he intentionally:

1. Stalks another person; and

2. Makes an explicit or implicit threat with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of:

a. Sexual contact as defined in KRS 510.010;

b. Serious physical injury; or

c. Death; and

(b) 1. A protective order or other judicial order as provided for in KRS Chapter 403 has been issued by the court to protect the same victim or victims and the defendant has been served with the summons or order or has been given actual notice; or

2. A criminal complaint is currently pending with a court, law enforcement agency, or prosecutor by the same victim or victims and the defendant has been served with a summons or warrant or has been given actual notice; or

3. The defendant has been convicted of or pled guilty within the previous five (5) years to a felony or to a Class A misdemeanor, other than a violation of KRS 508.150, against the same victim or victims; or

4. The act or acts were committed while the defendant had a deadly weapon on or about his person.

(2) Stalking in the first degree is a Class D felony."

Section 508.150. STALKING IN THE SECOND DEGREE. 1992.

(1) A person is guilty of stalking in the second degree when he intentionally:

(a) Stalks another person; and

(b) Makes an explicit or implicit threat with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of:

1. Sexual contact as defined in KRS 510.010;

2. Physical injury; or

3. Death.

(2) Stalking in the second degree is a Class A misdemeanor."

For Harassment, a violation, see Kentucky Code Section 525.070.

For Harassing Communications, a Class B misdemeanor, see Kentucky Code Section 525.080.

For Use of Obscene Language or Proposals on Telephone, see Kentucky Code Section 438.230.

Now guess why people hire private investigators? It's because they know, or should know the laws of the state in which they are licensed to practice and know what they can and can't do.

Are you such a person? Do you know the difference between stalking and harrassement? Do you know where you can and can't videotape a third-party, when you must get their permission? What if a minor child is videotapped in the same instance you are trying to gain evidence?

You're walking into a minefield.

Keep the private investigator or contact your state's child welfare authority with your concerns. And STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE EX.

D

dou4nzk

It's not my Ex

I found the same codes on Ky Laws regarding stalking, I am researching as well as looking for advice. I am talking about a family members ex and the abuse is not physical it is emotional and neglect and I can't afford to pay the investigator to watch as often as needed right now I have exhausted all my financial resources on this. We will be going to court soon on faliure to provide proper medical for one child, special needs. But I want to make sure that we have everything possible to stop what is going on. It is not the cp, but their spouse who is doing this. Mainly because of jealousy. I am not considering this lightly but these kids have to be protected. I appreciate your thoughts and am not trying to be argumenitive but I felt I should explain myself better. Thanks

H

hexeliebe

And my advice stands. You are not qualified. Contact the child welfare authority in Kentucky and make your concerns known to them. They will investigate.

Even if you do find "evidence" that you think will stand in court, the judge may look at it as he-said/she-said. But, coming from a third-party qualified to make such determination the evidence has more weight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">