• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalking/Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LSchmid

What is the name of your state? WI

My sister was engaged to this person for approx. two years. She recently decided to end the relationship and went so far as to move over 200 miles from where she resided with him to start a new life with her children (not his). She purposely did not give him her new land line telephone number nor her new address. He did, however, have her cell phone number. He also knows where she works as she took a transfer with her existing employer.

Despite numerous instructions otherwise he continues to call her. He calls her cell phone at all hours of the day and night, he managed to obtain her new land line telephone number and continuously calls her on that because her telephone does not have caller ID capability and so she answers it while she doe not answer her cell phone when she sees his telephone number displayed. He has even gone so far as to contact her at work.

The messages he leaves are not threatening but they are along the lines of, "I know one day you will come to your senses and realize you love me, etc." He called her four times at work yesterday alone and has left as many as seven voice mail messages within 30 minutes on her cell phone.

She has repeatedly told him to stop calling her, as have I but nothing seems to be working.

Is there anything she can do, legally, to stop this harassment?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Change her cell #?
Have caller-id activated on her line, and/or get an answering machine?

CdwJava

She can seek a restraining order. She can also have his number blocked from her home phone.

Sometimes just ignoring the other person (not answering his calls, hanging up when he does get through, etc.) can do the trick.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">