• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations on past charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kanis46

What is the name of your state? California. I would like to know what the statue of limitations are on past charges from 7 years ago. A friend of mine had a possession of a firearm took care of it. Now they are trying to bring that against him.

CdwJava

Kanis46 said:
What is the name of your state? California. I would like to know what the statue of limitations are on past charges from 7 years ago. A friend of mine had a possession of a firearm took care of it. Now they are trying to bring that against him.
There must be some details missing here. Has your friend been out of state? Was he arrested on a warrant? Why has it suddenly become an issue if it truly was 7 years ago.

And what do you mean that he had a "possession of a firearm" but "took care of it"? What did he do?

- Carl

Kanis46

CdwJava said:
There must be some details missing here. Has your friend been out of state? Was he arrested on a warrant? Why has it suddenly become an issue if it truly was 7 years ago.

And what do you mean that he had a "possession of a firearm" but "took care of it"? What did he do?

- Carl
What i mean by taking care of it he did his time . Now on this new charge to to start with they arrested him for buying alcohol for a minor. Searched his truck found the gun

Kanis46

Kanis46 said:
What i mean by taking care of it he did his time . Now on this new charge to to start with they arrested him for buying alcohol for a minor. Searched his truck found the gun
I do believe they set him up for a sting operation on the alcohol charge

Kanis46

Kanis46 said:
They set him up for a sting operation on the alcohol charges because the minors disappeared real quick when the cops swamed him

CdwJava

Okay ... I still don't get it. This sounds like new charges - furnishing alcohol to minors and possession of a concealed weapon (I presume). What does this have to do with his possession of a stolen firearm 7 years ago?

- Carl

Kanis46

help me here i'm not sure of how to reply i'm still learning how to use my computer. The past charge wasn't possession of a stolen firearm. it was possssion of a firearm.

CdwJava

Kanis46 said:
help me here i'm not sure of how to reply i'm still learning how to use my computer. The past charge wasn't possession of a stolen firearm. it was possssion of a firearm.
Okay ... from what you say it sounds like he is once again being charged with possession of a firearm (for a new offense - having it THIS time, not just the last time), and, possibly, providing alcohol to minors ... or some other lewd act involving minors.

He needs an attorney.

- Carl

Kanis46

CdwJava said:
Okay ... I still don't get it. This sounds like new charges - furnishing alcohol to minors and possession of a concealed weapon (I presume). What does this have to do with his possession of a stolen firearm 7 years ago?

- Carl
It wasn't a stolen firearm was a concealed weapon. Please write me at [email protected] I'm still learning how to use my computer

CdwJava

Kanis46 said:
It wasn't a stolen firearm was a concealed weapon.
Okay ... it still has nothing to do with his previous charge. He can be charged with carrying a concealed weapon (PC 12020, PC 12025, PC 12031, or whatever might be applicable) each and every time he commits the offense. All because he was convicted once before does not mean he cannot ever be charged with it again when it happens anew.

-Carl

Kanis46

CdwJava said:
Okay ... from what you say it sounds like he is once again being charged with possession of a firearm (for a new offense - having it THIS time, not just the last time), and, possibly, providing alcohol to minors ... or some other lewd act involving minors.

He needs an attorney.

- Carl
the difference is they want to give him 8 years on these charges because of his past. or 14 months on the new charges how can they bring up the past one and add it to this one.

CdwJava

Kanis46 said:
the difference is they want to give him 8 years on these charges because of his past. or 14 months on the new charges how can they bring up the past one and add it to this one.
The more crimes one commits, the more severe the punishments become. It is perfectly lawful to enhance a person's penalty for similar past penalties. It's like most other crimes, the first time can be a slap on th ewrist, the second ofense of the same kind can mean jail, and a third time can mean prison.

Not knowing the exact crime or crimes your friend faces, it's impossible to say what he might realistically be looking at, but enhancements are perfectly legitimate. And it is obvious he learned nothing from his previous conviction.

- Car

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">