• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Watch My Dust

Ok, I posted the message about how I was arrested for possession of marijuana and parapharnalia. I was told I'd be mailed something and was released at the scene. My question is, when will I be mailed something? Someone said something about statute of limitations, but I have searched the net and can't find anything about SOLs in the state of Washington. What are they usually for someone with my charges? I am 17. I have sort of been in trouble with the police before - I was involved in an incident where the police were called and there were a number of us who were spoken to, but of all of us, everyone but my friend and myself were contacted by the authorities and dealt with. So I'm not sure if that's on my record or not. Maybe one of you can help me with that too. Anything would be muchly appreciated!!

Thanks for your help and patience. :)

~ "Dusty"

H

hannah jo

You don't say how long ago this happened - but soudns as if the matter will be discussed with the DA and you will be cited (the something in the mail) for this offense and required to appear in court. There are statute of limitations for both felony and misdemeanor offenses. From what you have written, sounds like a misdemeanor. Check the penal code in WA - youmay find it on this website (button off to the right on the web page says state laws) - may be as long as a year or more.

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">