• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txtowstep

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I have a friend in need, so..... heres the question.

Statute of Limitations on misdemeanor assault in Texas , Speeding in Arkansas , and running a red light in Louisiana.

The first being the greater issue , any help would be great, Thank's

seniorjudge

SOLs on such stuff is generally a year.

The kicker, however, is that you must be in the jurisdiction for the whole year. The SOL stops running once you leave the jurisdiction, then starts running again when you get back in the jurisdiction.

It would be kind of hard to be in all three states for a whole year waiting for the SOLs to run.

txtowstep

i dont think so, back some years ago i personaly had a ticket in california and when i went to renew my D/L the state of Texas said i needed to take care of it before i could renew , when i called Cal, they said the SOL had run out and sent me a release .... so ?

txtowstep

seniorjudge said:
SOLs on such stuff is generally a year.

The kicker, however, is that you must be in the jurisdiction for the whole year. The SOL stops running once you leave the jurisdiction, then starts running again when you get back in the jurisdiction.

It would be kind of hard to be in all three states for a whole year waiting for the SOLs to run.
Another question would be "is that the jurisdiction of the town, county or state"? doesnt make much sence to me........but then again i'm not the one answering, i'm asking ..... lol

seniorjudge

txtowstep said:
i dont think so, back some years ago i personaly had a ticket in california and when i went to renew my D/L the state of Texas said i needed to take care of it before i could renew , when i called Cal, they said the SOL had run out and sent me a release .... so ?
Sounds like you pretty much know what is going to happen to you....

txtowstep

well, if you'd read my first post you's understand it's not me, and that the major concern is the assault charge not the tickets ..... but thanks for your imput ..... by the way, are you a real live judge ? if so, where if you dont mind me asking .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">