• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations forgery/ poss. forged ins..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brian baxter

What is the name of your state? New York

If authorities misinform (lie) my family on the status of the charges against me (parole and officers say they want to talk to me, there is no warrants/nothing to worry about)..

When infact there is a warrant issued, are they, excuse me will they be bound to the 5 year statute of limitations on the forgery offense.

I know that if the accused is aware of the charge, and flees, he and/or she can not return in 5 years and not expect to face prosecution. HOWEVER, if they have informed me of no warrants, aren't they bound to prosecute me within the limitations. It is not only the defendants right not to be forced to prove innocence 20 years after the alleged crime (who can recal with clarity what took place), but the justice systems' responsibility to investigate crimes and prosecute them in a timely fashion...

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

If a crime has a statute of limitations, the time runs from the time the crime is discovered until someone is named.

Once a warrant is issued, there is no statute of limitations.

The fact that the authorities lied, covered up the fact , were misinformed as to the warrant, etc. doesn't matter, it is not anything you can use to get off. That I guess was your question.

Exactly when did the offenses occur? Where were you between these dates and now? You mention parole, was your location known to the authorities in the referenced time frame?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">