• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations: SERIAL KILLINGS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PaperbackWriter

I am developing a screen play, the main character in which is a serial killer. My question has to do with the Statute of Limitations, if here is one, regarding serial killings/mass murders.

If a serial killer is not caught; and if the killlings stop for a period of decades, with evidence leading authorities to conclude that the killer is dead, is there a statute of limitations which renders this person a free man?

If you are knowledeable in this area, kindly provide information regarding the existence or non-existence of a Satute of Limitations in relation to serial murders. Please also delineate the specific criteria which one must meet in order to staisfy such a statute if one exists. Thank you. I appreciate your assistance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PaperbackWriter said:
I am developing a screen play, the main character in which is a serial killer. My question has to do with the Statute of Limitations, if here is one, regarding serial killings/mass murders.

If a serial killer is not caught; and if the killlings stop for a period of decades, with evidence leading authorities to conclude that the killer is dead, is there a statute of limitations which renders this person a free man?

If you are knowledeable in this area, kindly provide information regarding the existence or non-existence of a Satute of Limitations in relation to serial murders. Please also delineate the specific criteria which one must meet in order to staisfy such a statute if one exists. Thank you. I appreciate your assistance.
My response:

There is no Statute of Limitations on homicide, no matter what the circumstances. As a matter of fact, there are still some Nazis that are being hunted down, in the hopes of bringing them to trial.

IAAL

Last edited:
P

PaperbackWriter

Woops! So much for THAT plot. . . hehehehehe. You, IAAL, sound to be just the professional I was looking towards for advice. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">