• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations for sexual abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momself

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Can someone who committed statutory rape 13 years ago be charged with this crime if the victim is now 26? I looked up the statutes for Missouri and it states:

556.037. The provisions of section 556.036, to the contrary notwithstanding, prosecutions for unlawful sexual offenses involving a person eighteen years of age or under must be commenced within ten years after the victim reaches the age of eighteen.

I asked a police officer about this and he said that criminal charges should have been filed within 10 years of the offense. But the way i understand this statute is that criminal charges may be filed anytime within 10 years after the victim's 18th b'day. She is now 26 but was 13 at the time and the male was 18 at the time, now 31.

D

DRN

It seems pretty clear to me. Within ten years after the victim reaches 18 years of age, in other words, until the day before the victim turns age 28.

But, I'm not a lawyer. Hope this helps.

momself

The officer said he talked to one of the PA's in our county and criminal charges could not be filed against this person because the offense happened so long ago.

D

DRN

If my interpretation of the statute is correct, then they don't mean they "can't" prosecute because it happened so long ago. They mean they don't want to prosecute because it was so long ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">