• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations -- Theft by Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TXGirl

What is the name of your state? Texas

What are the statute of limitations for prosecution of Theft by Check in Texas? Thanks! :)

TXGirl

No. My mother has been charged with crime. The check was written in 2002, but I am not sure yet how long the warrant has been out.

Happy Trails

TXGirl said:
No. My mother has been charged with crime. The check was written in 2002, but I am not sure yet how long the warrant has been out.
misdemeanor = 2 years from the date the check was written
IBC and theft by check under $1,500.00 are both misdemeanors.

felony = 5 years from the date the check was written
A felony is generally charged when a check is exchanged for property whose value is $1,500.00 or more or includes firearms, sheep, cattle, horses, or exotic animals.

The Statute of Limitations runs until the case is either indicted by the Grand Jury or signed by the judge in the case of a misdemeanor. Once the case is filed, the Statute of Limitations no longer applies except if the case must be refiled.

Information from:
http://www.co.lubbock.tx.us/CDA/statute.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">