• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations on trespassing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cowgirl27

What is the name of your state? Kansas

What are the statute of limitations on trespassing?

Okay, my story is embarrassing and shameful but I have a question, so I must tell it. About a year ago, my daughter was at a friends house. The other kids in this house have always been kind of mean to her and I had been talking to her about not going there anymore. One day she was there and told me that that the parent there was going to go get lunch for the kids and that this girl of about 11 or 12 was going to watch the rest of the kids. I asked to talk to the girl because I thought that the parent had already left. I just told the girl that I would appreciate it if she would try to make sure that everyone was fair to my daughter and to each other. Two minutes later, my daughter came crying into the house and said that she was sent home because I was mean to the older girl. Right away, I was furious because I had taken special care to say what I said nicely. My daughter told me that the parent was still there. I didn't have their phone number so I ran up the street to tell the parent that I had not been mean and that wasn't fair to my daughter. The adult was gone and there were kids in the yard and kids in the house and the hard door was open. Instead of knocking on the screen door, I opened it and peaked in calling for the girl. I was out of breath from running and I'm sure I looked frightenting. She answered and I stepped in and walked half-way up the stairs to find out what happened. I told the girl that I didn't appreciate her telling the adult that I had been mean to her when she and I both knew I had not been. (pretty stupid of me, I know) She started to get upset and I apologized profusely for making her upset. I told her that I wasn't normally like that and that if she ever needed anything, I was just down the street. Later, I got a call from the adult there and I explained to her what happened. She wasn't really upset until she knew I had just walked into her house, which for some crazy reason never occured to me I had done something so disrespectful to her and her husband and family. I would have been very upset if someone did that at my house. I apologized profusely to her as well and said I had done the same to the older girl that was there earlier. I told her that I felt really bad and made a terrible judgment call. Now a year later, my daughter was over there and she couldn't get her bike stopped in time and ran into one of their bushes. The man of the house there told her that if she broke anything on their property that he would put his foot through her ass. She came home and told me and it greatly upset me. My daughter is only 8 years old. She was supposed to go back there to talk to someone and I told her to tell the mom there that what he said to her really made me mad. (I know, another stupid thing for me to do) so my daughter went back there and told the mom that I was upset about that. She then brings up what I did last summer, even though she accepted my apology then and was civil to me since, because she was mad that I was mad. The dad there said "I'll deal with it later." So now, since I don't really know these people or what they would do, could they out of spite, file a police report that I trespassed last year?

n_and

1. Don't put children in the middle of stuff like this.
2. No, they cannot file a report a year later about an IFFY situation of trespassing. The girl called out to you, right? She was the only one there besides you, right? See what I'm getting out?
3. Ignore these people from now on. Completely forget their existence. Because this sounds like a Jerry Springer episode, and will only escalate from here. (sorry)

cowgirl27

Thanks for replying. The girl who called out wasn't the only one there. There were two other girls there. I didn't intentionally put the kids in the middle, but I did and I can't make any excuses for that. I can just learn from it. One of the things that gets me is that when I left, they were all smiling at me and the other two girls were telling the older girl that I really was a nice person. Later I find out that the girls told the adults that I made them all cry, leaving everything else out. I got myself into this situation and have definately learned (which I should have known before) that kids exagerate(sp?) and only make the problem worse than it was to begin with. I plan to stay away from them and keep my daughter from there as well. I don't know about a Springer episode, but no good can come from them. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">