• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vnoel

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I just found out my daughter has had sex a few times with a boy that i told her she could not see. My daughter is only 14 and he is 17. Can he be charged?

JETX

"My daughter is only 14 and he is 17. Can he be charged?"
*** Stupid as it may sound, a review of the PA statutes shows that this may not be a crime at all. The key is that the person must be under 16 (as in your daughters case), but he must be four or more years older. Since he is 17, then it may not be a sexual crime.

PA Crimes and Offenses, Chapter 18:
"§ 3122.1. Statutory sexual assault.
Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse with a complainant under the age of 16 years and that person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other."
source:
http://www.ageofconsent.com/pennsylvania.htm
http://www.students.haverford.edu/masar/documents/PARapeLaws.pdf

He could also be in violation of:
"§ 6318. Unlawful contact or communication with minor.
(a) Offense defined.-A person whether within or without this Commonwealth commits an offense if he, knowing that he is contacting or communicating with a minor within this Commonwealth, intentionally contacts or communicates with that minor for the purpose of engaging in activity prohibited under any of the following:
1. Any of the offenses enumerated in Chapter 31 (relating to sexual offenses).
2. Open lewdness as defined in section 5901 (relating to open lewdness).
3. Prostitution as defined in section 5902 (relating to prostitution and related offenses).
4. Obscene and other sexual materials and performances as defined in section 5903 (relating to obscene and other sexual materials and performances).
5. Sexual abuse of children as defined in section 6312 (relating to sexual abuse of children).
(b) Grading.-A violation of subsection (a) is:
1. an offense of the same grade and degree as the most serious underlying offense in subsection (a) for which the defendant contacted or communicated with the minor; and
2. a misdemeanor of the first degree;
whichever is greater.
(c) Definitions.-As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Contacts or communicates with."
Direct or indirect contact or communication by any means, method or device, including contact or communication in person or through an agent or agency, through any print medium, the mails, a common carrier or communication common carrier, any electronic communication system and any telecommunications, wire, computer or radio communications device or system. "Minor."
An individual under 18 years of age."

In any case, I would be in contact with your local law enforcement agency.... and have a very serious talk with your daughter.

Bravo8

I have to agree with Vida. Attempting to ruin this young man's life simply because you are angry is wrong. Completely, totally wrong.

Additionally, I don't think it constitutes a crime. Like JETX said, the age of consent is 16, with the other party being more than 4 years older. This situation does not comply with the elements of that offense.

Further, I don't feel Section 6318 applies, either. That would require a violation of any of the enumerated sections, none of which occurred.

Z

zappy

I hate to break this to ya Vnoel:

But your Daughter wanted to get laid! Yes even at 14.

That is what you have to deal with, you know boys men married who cares, almost ALL men will NOT turn down a woman wanting sex......

So before you go all half-cocked (pun intended), Unless you can prove it was an actual rape, then forget about it, and have a very very very LONG talk with your daughter.

JETX

Vida, Bravo and especially Crappy....
With all due respect (and though I may agree personally - except to Crappy), your posts are personal opinions and have no place on this forum. This is a LEGAL advice forum and as such, its intent is NOT to provide moral opinions or idiotic ('she wanted it anyway') posts.

The specific question asked was, "Can he be charged?". Your posts did nothing to answer that question.

Please, if you have a LEGAL opinion, offer it and provide support for your LEGAL basis. If you have a personal or moral statement, you can post it at:
http://www.Oprah_gives_you_a_hug.com/

H

hmmbrdzz

The answer is "yes". If you consider taking this matter to authorities for interpretation and for them to consider an investigation for possible charges, consider that the legal proceedings thereafter will impact your daughter's life.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">